[CS3190unix-list] games

Berna Massingill bmassing at cs.trinity.edu
Sat Apr 24 00:16:42 CDT 2004

Someone else asked about games.  You can (probably) launch any
graphics-type game, if you can find its path name.  But the question
got me thinking about old-time text-mode games ....

The standard RH 9 distribution doesn't really include any of them,
but I found a collection of them out on the Web and installed them.
You'll find them in /users/cs3190u/games/games.  You can read the
corresponding man pages with, e.g.,  "man -M /users/cs3190u/games/man
hangman".  Not everything works -- for security reasons, I didn't
enable global score files -- but you can get an idea of what such
games are like.  Some that seem reasonable playable are boggle,
hangman, robots, and tetris-bsd.  Commands rain and fortune aren't
exactly games but are entertaining.

As they say -- "for what it's worth."

-- blm

P.S.  On a somewhat related topic, if you're curious about
how far a determined person can go with ASCII art, telnet to
towel.blinkenlights.nl and watch ....  (It takes a while to start up,
so be patient.)