[CS3194-list] update about ethics presentations -- next week possible!

Berna Massingill bmassing at cs.trinity.edu
Thu Feb 12 16:49:15 CST 2004

I talked again to Dr. Pitts about the juniors' ethics presentations
and scheduling, and he tells me that it's very possible that we
will be doing them next week (February 18).  I'll let you know for
sure as soon as he tells me.  As you may know, the reason for the
scheduling uncertainty is that we're interviewing people for the open
faculty position, and Dr. Pitts is doing his best to make sure every
interview includes a talk at the P/E/D seminar, so that you students
get a chance to hear the candidates and tell him what you think.
(Yes, I'm relaying your comments from yesterday.)

He also confirmed that the overall plan is pretty much what was done
last year:  Each group will be given a scenario and two minutes to
think about it, after which they will have to discuss whether the
actions in the scenario are ethical or unethical and why.  This will
be followed by some discussion with everyone.  Groups will be evaluated
by me, Dr. Lewis, and Dr. Pitts.

To prepare for this, you should look over the material about ethics
linked from the "common information for CS_194 students" page at
http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~bmassing/PED/.  One of the links is to
http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~jhowland/cs3194/ethics-problems/index/,
which is a collection of sample problems (well, the ones you can
get to are sample problems -- for some of them you will get "access
forbidden" errors, meaning these are problems we might use for the
presentations).

Each group should also think a little bit about a strategy for talking
through a scenario in limited time (two minutes!).  We want each
group's presentation to be a group effort, so think about whether
it makes sense to assign each group member a specific task (e.g.,
one person tries to argue the "it's ethical" side, another person the
"it's not ethical" side, etc.).

I'm going to Cc this to Dr. Pitts and hope he'll correct me if I've
said something totally wrong.  Good luck, and if you have questions
or concerns please feel free to ask me.  If I don't know I'll find out!

-- blm