Subject: [CSCI4320] exam/general tips, grading status update

From: Berna Massingill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:54:19 -0600

First, a couple of things to keep in mind for the exam, specifically
on problems where to get an answer you have to figure out and/or
apply a mathematical formula and/or do some arithmetic:

If all you write down is the answer, there is almost zero possibility
of getting partial credit if it's wrong.  If you write down something
that shows some of your thinking/calculating, I try to give some
points for anything that's true and relevant.  (And I doubt I'm the
only instructor on the planet who does something like this.)  But in
order to do this, I need to be able to make sense of what you've
written, so writing down a lot of calculations with no explanation
of what they mean isn't going to be useful unless it's obvious (to
the person grading) what they mean.  You don't have to be quite as
verbose as I sometimes am in writing up sample solutions, but sometimes
a few words can help.

And about grading:  I just finished marking Homework 3.  If you're
eager to get your paper back and/or know your grade, feel free to
come by and pick it up; I'll probably be here at least until 7pm.
I'll try to send out updated grades including an attendance score
later today, but no promises on that.

-- blm