Subject: (3 Oct 94) Computer Graphics Resource Listing : BIWEEKLY [part 3/6]

From: [email-masked] (Nick C. Fotis)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 17:19:45 GMT

Archive-name: graphics/resources-list/part3
Last-modified: 1994/10/03

Computer Graphics Resource Listing : BIWEEKLY POSTING [ PART 3/6 ]
=====================================================
Last Change : 3 Octomber 1994

Subject:
9. Image analysis software - Image processing and display
==========================================================

PC and Mac-based tools (multi-platform software)
======================

IMDISP
------
  IMDISP Written at JPL and other NASA sites. Can do simple display,
  enhancing, smoothing and so on. Works with the FITS and VICAR/PDS
  data formats of NASA. Can read TIFF images, if you know their dimensions
  [PC and Macs]

LabVIEW 2
---------
  LabVIEW is used as a framework for image processing tools. It provides a
  graphical programming environment using block diagram sketch is the
  "program" with graphical elements representing the programming elements.
  Hundreds of functions are already available and are connected using a
  wiring tool to create the block diagram (program).  Functions that the
  block diagrams represent include digital signal processing and
  filtering, numerical analysis, statistics, etc.  The tool allows any
  Virtual Instrument (VI, a software file that looks and acts like a real
  laboratory instrument) to be used as a part of any other virtual
  instrument.

  National Instruments markets plug-in digital signal processing (DSP)
  boards for Macintoshs and PC compatables that allow real-time
  acquisition and analysis at a personal computer.  New software tools for
  DSP are allowing engineers to harness the power of this technology. The
  tools range from low-level debugging software to high-level block
  diagram development software.  There are three levels of DSP programming
  associated with the NB-DSP2300 board and LabVIEW:
  Use of the NB-DSP2300 Analysis Library: FFTs, power spectra, filters
  routines callable from THINK C and Macintosh Programers Workshop (MPW) C
  that execute on the NB-DSP2300 board. There is an analysis Virtual
  Interface Library of ready-to-use VIs optimized for the NB-DSP2300.

  Use of the National Instruments Developers Toolkit that includes an
  optimizing C compiler, an assembler and a linker for low-level
  programming of the DSP hardware.  This approach offers the highest level
  of performance but is the must difficult in terms of ease of use.

  Use of the National Instruments Interface Kit software package which has
  utility functions for memory management data communications and
  downloading code to the NB-DSP2300 board. (This is the easiest route for
  the development of custom code.)

Ultimage Concept VI
-------------------
  Concept VI  by Graftek-France is a family of image processing Virtual
  Instruments (VIs) that give LabVIEW 2 (described above) users high-end
  tools for designing, integrating and monitoring imaging control systems.
  A VI is a software file that looks and acts like a real laboratory
  instrument. Typical applications for Concept VI include thermography,
  surveillance, machine vision, production testing, biomedical imaging,
  electronic microscopy and remote sensing.

  Ultimage Concept VI addresses applications which require further
  qualitative and quantitative analysis.  It includes a complete set of
  functions for image enhancement, histogram equalization, spatial and
  frequency filtering, isolation of features, thresholding, mathematical
  morphology analysis, density measurement, object counting, sizing and
  characterization.

  The program loads images with a minimum resolution of 64 by 64, a pixel
  depth of 8, 16, or 32 bits, and one image plane.  Standard input and
  output formats include PICT, TIFF, SATIE, and AIPD.  Other formats can
  be imported.

  Image enhancement features include lookup table transformations, spatial
  linear and non-linear filters, frequency filtering, arithmetic and logic
  operations, and geometric transformations, among others.  Morphological
  transformations include erosion, dilation, opening, closing, hole
  removal, object separation, and extraction of skeletons, among others.
  Quantitative analysis provides for objects' detection, measurement, and
  morphological distribution.  Measures include area, perimeter, center of
  gravity, moment of inertia, orientation, length of relevant chords, and
  shape factors and equivalence.  Measures are saved in ASCII format.  The
  program also provides for macro scripting and integration of custom
  modules.

  A 3-D view command plots a perspective data graph where image intensity
  is depicted as mountains or valleys in the plot.  The histogram tool can
  be plotted with either a linear or logarithmic scale. The twenty-eight
  arithmetic and logical operations provide for: masking and averaging
  sections of images, noise removal, making comparisons, etc.  There are
  13 spatial filters that alter pixel intensities based on local
  intensity.  These include high-pass filters for contrast and outlines.
  The frequency data resulting from FFT analysis can be displayed as
  either the (real , imaginary ) components or the (phase, magnitude)
  data.  The morphological transformations are useful for data sharpening
  and defining objects or for removing artifacts.

  The transformations include: thresholding, eroding, dilating and even
  hole filling.

  The program's quantitative analysis measurements include: area,
  perimeter, center of mass, object counts, and angle between points.

  GTFS, Inc. 2455 Bennett Valley Road #100C Santa Rosa, CA 95494
  707-579-1733

IPLab Spectrum
--------------
  IPLAB Spectrum supports image processing and analysis but lacks the
  morphology and quantitative analysis features provided by
  Graftek-FranceUs Ultimage Concept VI.  Using scripting tools, the user
  tells the system the operations to be performed. The problem is that far
  too many basic operations require manual intervention. The tool
  supports: FFTs, 16 arithmetic operations for pixel alteration, and a
  movie command for cycling through windows.

ITEX
----
  ITEX image processing software from Imaging Technology Incorporated is an
  industry-standard C language subroutine library for image enhancement and
  manipulation.  Designed to accelerate applications development, the ITEX
  software package contains hundreds of field-proven image processing
  algorithms.  All subroutines are accessed through user-developed 
  application software written for operation under such operating systems 
  as MS-DOS, UNIX, SUN OS, OS/9, and VxWorks.
  
  ITEX is equipped with a command line interpreter that further assists in
  speeding application development by providing an interactive environment
  for working out image processing scenarios.  ITEX software includes
  operations for input and output pixel transformations, image save and
  restore, graphics and text annotation functions, area and geometric
  functions, linear and non-linear spatial filtering, and support for
  real-time image convolutions.

Application-Specific ITEX
-------------------------
  Free software evaluation utilities for image analysis and machine vision
  feasibility studies are offered by Imaging Technology Incorporated.  These
  evaluation utilities provide a simple point-and-click MS Windows graphical
  user interface (GUI) from which to evaluate highly robust grayscale pattern
  recognition, quantitative image (blob) analysis, and industrial character
  recognition (OCR) software libraries offered by the company.

  The evaluation utilities speed feasibility studies and help reduce the cost
  of application software development.  These utilities, which require no
  special equipment to operate, allow development engineers to breeze through
  the feasibility process on prestored TIFF images and quickly start working
  on solving their applications.

  The only equipment necessary to operate these utilities is a 386 or 486
  personal computer AT, Windows 3.0 or 3.1, a mouse, and an eight-bit
  SuperVGA card.  No additional hardware or software is required.

  Each evaluation utility comes complete with a tutorial that guides the
  user through the processes of the software package.  Absolutely no prior
  experience with image analysis algorithms is necessary in order to operate
  these utilities.  To further assist and instruct the user, an on-line Help
  facility is incorporated to answer questions along the way.

  Contact:
  Imaging Technology Inc, 55 Middlesex Tpk, Bedford, MA 01730, (800) 333-3035
  e-mail: [email-masked] (Theresa M. Meuse)

[ They sell also a VME-based video frame grabber in resolutions up to
 1024x768 pixels non-interlaced, or up to 1024x1024 pixels interlaced.
 An ISA/EISA-based modular board-set is provided also for PC-only
 environment, which has modules for genlocking, NTSC/PAL 24-bit grabber,
 variable-scan frame grabber, and a 30fps monchrome frame grabber - nfotis ]

Macintosh-based tools
=====================

NCSA Image, NCSA PalEdit and more
---------------------------------
  NCSA provides a whole suite of public-domain visualization tools for the
  Macintosh, primarily aimed at researchers wanting to visualize results
  from numerical modelling calculations.  These applications,
  documentation, and source code are available for anonymous ftp from
  ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu. Commercial versions of the NCSA programs have been
  developed by Spyglass.

  Spyglass, Inc. 701 Devonshire Drive Champaign, IL  61820 (217) 355-6000
  fax: 217 355 8925

NIH IMAGE
---------
  Available at alw.nih.gov (128.231.128.7) or (preferably)
  zippy.nimh.nih.gov [128.231.98.32], directory:/pub/image.
  It has painting and image manipulation tools, a macro language,
  tools for measuring areas, distances and angles, and for counting
  things. Using a frame grabber card, it can record sequences of
  images to be played back as a movie. It can invoke user-defined
  convolution matrix filters, such as Gaussian. It can import raw
  data in tab-delimited ASCII, or as 1 or 2-byte quantities. It also
  does histograms and even 3-D plots. It is limited to 8-bits/pixel,
  though the 8 bits map into a color lookup table. It runs on any Mac
  that has a 256-color screen and a FPU (or get the NonFPU version
  from zippy.nimh.nih.gov)

PhotoMac
--------
  Data Translation, Inc. 100 Locke Dr. Marlboro, MA 01752 508-481-3700

PhotoPress
----------
  Blue Solutions 3039 Marigold Place Thousand Oaks, CA 91360 805-492-9973

PixelTools and TCL-Image
------------------------
  "Complete family of PixelTools (hardware accelerator and applications
  software) for scientific image processing and analysis.  Video-rate
  capture, display, processing, and analysis of high-resolution
  monochromatic and color images.  Includes C source code."

TCL-Image:
  "Software package for scientific, quantitative image processing and
  analysis. It provides a complete language for the capture, enhancement,
  and extraction of quantitative information from gray-scale images.
  TCL_Image has over 200 functions for image processing, and contains the
  other elements needed in a full programming language for algorithm
  development -- variables and control structures.  It is easily
  extensible through "script" (or indirect command) files. These script
  files are simply text files that contain TCL-Image commands.  They are
  executed as normal commands and include the ability to pass parameters.
  The direct capture of video images is supported via popular frame
  grabber boards.  TCL-Image comes with the I-View utility that provides
  conversion between common image file types, such as PICT2 and TIFF."

  Perceptics 725 Pellissippi Parkway Knoxville, TN 37933 615-966-9200

Satellite Image Workshop
------------------------
  It comes with a number of satellite pictures (raw data) and does all
  sorts of image enhancing on it. You'll need at least a Mac II with co-
  processor; a 256 color display and a large harddisk. The program doesn't
  run under system 7.x.ATE1 V1

  In the documentation the contact address is given as:  Liz Smith, Jet
  Propulsion Laboratory, MS 300-323, 4800 Oak Grove Dr,.Pasadena, CA 91109
  (818) 354-6980

Visualization Workbench
-----------------------
  "An electronic imaging software system that performs interactive image
  analysis and scientific 2D and 3D plotting."

  Paragon Imagine 171 Lincoln St. Lowell, MA 01852 508-441-2112

Adobe Photoshop
---------------

  The tool supports Rtrue colorS with 24-bit images or 256 levels of grey
  scale.  Once an image has been imported it can be Rre-touchedS with
  various editing tools typical of those used in Macintosh-based RpaintS
  applications.  These include an eraser, pencil, brush and air brush.
  Advanced RpasteS tools that control the interaction between a pasted
  selection and the receiving site have also been incorporated.  For
  example, all red pixels in a selection can easily be preventing from
  being pasted. Photoshop has transparencies ranging from 0 to 100%,
  allowing you to create ghost overlays.  RPhoto-editingS tools include
  control of the brightness and contrast, color balancing, hue/saturation
  modification and spectrum equalization.  Images can be subjected to
  various signal processing algorithms to smooth or sharpen the image,
  blur edges, or locate edges.  Image scaling is also supported.

  For storage savings, the images can be compressed using standard
  algorithms, including externally supplied compression such as JPEG,
  availlable from Storm Technologies. The latest version of Adobe
  Photoshop supports the import of numerous image formats including: EPSF,
  EPSF, TIFF, PICT resource, Amiga IFF/ILBM, CompuServe GIF, MacPaint,
  PIXAR, PixelPaint, Scitex CT, TGA and ThunderScan..

  Adobe Systems, Inc. 1585 Charlestown Road PO Box 7900 Mountain View, CA
  94039-7900 415-961-4400

ColorStudio and ImageStudio
---------------------------
  ColorStudio is an image-editing and paint package from Letraset that has
  more features than Adobe Photoshop but is decidedly more complex and
  therefore more difficult to use.  Several steps are often required to
  accomplish that which can be done in a single step using Photoshop.  The
  application requires a great deal of available disk space as one can
  easily end up with images in the 30 MB range.  The program provides a
  variety of powerful selection tools including the "auto selection tool"
  which lets the user choose image areas on the basis of color, close
  hues, color range and mask.

ImageStudio: Don't know...

  Letraset USA 40 Eisenhower Drive Paramus, NJ 07653 201-845-6100

Dapple Systems
--------------
  "High resolution image analysis software provides processing tools to
  work with multiple images, enhance and edit, and measure a variety of
  global or feature parameters, and interpret the data."

  Dapple Systems, 355 W. Olive Ave, #100 Sunnyvale, CA 94086 408-733-3283

Digital Darkroom
----------------
  The latest release of Digital Darkroom has five new selection and
  editing tools for enhancing images. One such feature allows the user to
  select part of an image simply by "painting" it. A new polyline
  selection tool creates a selection tool for single pixel wide
  selections.  A brush lets the operator "paint" with a selected portion
  of the image. Note that this is not a true color image enhancement tool.
  This tool should be used when the user intends to operate in grey-scale
  images only.  It should be noted that Digital Darkroom is not as
  powerful as either Adobe Photoshop or ColorStudio.

  Silicon Beach Software 9770 Carroll Ctr. Rd., Suite J San Diego, CA
  92126 619-695-6956

Dimple
------
  It  is compatible with system 6.05 and system 7.0 , requires Mac LC or
  II series with 256 colours, with a recommended min of 6Mb of ram. It has
  the capability of reading Erdas files. Functions include; image
  enhancement, 3D and contour plots, image statistics, supervised and
  unsupervised classification, PCA and other image transformations. There
  is also a means (Image Operation Language or IOL) by which you can write
  your own transformations. There is no image rectification, however
  Dimple is compatable with MAPII. The latest version is 1.4 and it is in
  the beta stage of testing. Dimple was initially developed as a teaching
  tool and it is very good for this purpose."

  "Dimple  runs on a colour Macintosh.  It is a product still in its
  development phase.. i.e. it doesn't have all the inbuilt features of
  other packages, but is coming along nicely.  It has its own inbuilt
  language for writing "programs" for processing an image, defining
  convolution filters etc. Dimple is a full mac application with pull down
  menus etc... It is unprotected software."

  Process Software Solutions, PO Box 2110, Wollongong, New South Wales,
  Australia. 2500. Phone 61 42 261757  Fax 61 42 264190.

Enhance
-------
  Enhance has a RrulerS tool that supports measurements and additionally
  provides angle data. The tool has over 80 mathematical filter
  variations: "Laplacian, medium noise filter", etc.  Files can be saved
  as either TIFF, PICT, EPSF or text (however EPSF files can't be imported).

  MicroFrontier 7650 Hickman Road Des Moines, IA  50322 515-270-8109

Image Analyst
-------------
  An image processing product for users who need to extract quantitative
  data from video images.  Image Analyst lets users configure
  sophisticated image processing and measurement routines without the
  necessity of knowing a programming language.  It is designed for such
  tasks at computing number and size of cells in images projected by video
  cameras attached to microscopes, or enhancing and measuring distances in
  radiographs.

  Image Analyst provides users with an array of field-proven video
  analysis techniques that enable them to easily assemble a sequence of
  instructions to enhance feature appearance; count objects; determine
  density, shape, size, position, or movement; perform object feature
  extraction; and conduct textural analysis automatically.  Image Analyst
  works with either a framegrabber board and any standard video camera, or
  a disk-stored image.

  Within minutes, without the need for programming, the Image Analyst user
  can set up a process to identify and analyze any element of a image.
  Measurements and statistics can be automatically or semi-automatically
  generated from TIFF or PICT files or from captured video tape images.
  Image Analyst recognizes items in images based on their size, shape and
  position.  The tool provides direct support for the Data Translation and
  Scion frame grabbers. A menu command allows for image capture from a VCR
  video camera or other NTSC or PAL devices.

  There are 2 types of files, the image itself and the related Sequence
  file that holds the processing, measurements and analysis that the user
  defines.  Automated sequences are set up in Regions Of Interest (ROI)
  represented by movable, sizable boxes atop the image.  Inside a ROI, the
  program can find the distance between two edges, the area of a shape,
  the thickness of a wall, etc.  Image Analyst finds the center, edge and
  other positions automatically. The application also provides tools so
  that the user can work interactively to find the edge of object. It also
  supports histograms and a color look-up table (CLUT) tool.

  Automatix, Inc. 775 Middlesex Turnpike Billerica, MA 01821 508-667-7900

IPLab
-----
  Signal Analytics Corp. 374 Maple Ave. E Vienna, VA  22180 703-281-3277
  FAX 703-281-2509

  "Menu-driven image processing software that supports 24-bit color or
  pseudocolor/grayscale image display and manipulation."

MAP II
------
  Among the Mac GIS systems, MAP II distributed by John Wiley has
  integrated image analysis.

IMAGE
-----
  from Stanford : Try anonymous ftp from sumex-aim.stanford.edu
  It has pd source for image v2, and ready to run code for a mac under
  image v3.

Windows/DOS PC-based tools
==========================

CCD
---
  Richard Berry's CCD imaging book for Willamon-Bell contains (optional?)
  disks with image manipulating software.  Source code is included.

ERDAS
-----
  "ERDAS will do all of the things you want:  rectification,
  classification, transformations (canned & user-defined), overlays,
  filters, contrast enhancement, etc. ... I was using it on my thesis &
  then changed the topic a bit & that work became secondary."

  ERDAS, Inc. 2801 Buford Highway Suite 300 Atlanta, GA 30329 404-248-9000
  FAX   404-248-9400

RSVGA
-----
  "I have been getting up to speed on a program called RSVGA available from
  Eidetic Digital Image Ltd. in British Columbia.  Its for IBM PC's or
  clones, cheap (about $400) and does all the stuff Erdas does but is not
  as fast or as powerful, though I have had only limited experience with
  Erdas.  I have used RSVGA with 6 of 7 Landsat bands and it is a good
  starter program except for the obtuse manual"

IMAGINE-32
----------
  It's a 32 bit package [I suppose for PCs] called "Imagine32"
  or "Image32" The program does a modest amount of image processing --add,
  subtract, multiply, divide, display, and plot an x or y cut across the image.
  It can also display a number of images simultaneously.
  The company is CompuScope, in Santa Barbara, CA. 

PC Vista
--------
[ NOTE: it's now available via anonymous FTP - machine flipper.berkeley.edu
 (128.32.178.54), directory pub/pcvista. Warning: no user interface, very
 minimal docs, etc. ]

  It was announced in the 1989 August edition of PASP.  It is known to
  be available from Mike Richmond, whose email addresses have been

	[email-masked]
	[email-masked]
[ Latest address: [email-masked] ]

  and his s-mail address is:

  Michael Richmond,Astronomy Department, Campbell Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720

  The latest version of PC-Vista, version 1.7, includes not only the source
  code and help files, but also a complete set of executable programs and
  a number of sample FITS images. If you do wish to use the source code,
  you will need Microsoft C, version 5.0 or later; other compilers may work,
  but will require substantial modifications.

  To receive the documentation and nine double-density (360K) floppies
  (or three quad-density 3-1/2 inch floppies (1.44M) with everything on them,
  just send a request for PC-Vista, together with your name and a US-Mail
  address, to 

	Office of Technology Licensing
	2150 Shattuck Ave., Suite 510
	Berkeley, Ca. 94704

  Include a check (Traveller's Checks are fine) or purchase order for $150.00
  in U.S. dollars, if your address is inside the continental U.S., or $165.00
  otherwise, made out to Regents of the University of California
  to cover duplication and mailing costs.

SOFTWARE TOOLS
--------------
  It's a set of software "tools" put out by Canyon State
  Systems and Software. They are not free, but rather cheap at about $30 I
  heard. It will handle most all of the formats used by frame grabber
  software. 

MIRAGE
------
  It's image processing software written by Jim Gunn at the
  Astrophysics Dept at Princeton. It will run on a PC among other platforms.
  It is a Forth based system - i.e. a Forth language with many image
  processing displaying functions built in. 

DATA TRANSLATION SOURCE BOOK
----------------------------
  The Data Translation company in Massachusetts publishes a free book
  containing vendors of data analysis hardware and software which is
  compatible with Data Translation and other frame grabbers.
  Surely you can find much more PC-related stuff in it.

MAXEN386
--------
  A couple of Canadians have written a program named MAXEN386 which does
  maximum entropy image deconvolution. Their company is named Digital
  Signal Processing Software, or something like that, and the software is
  mentioned in an article in Astronomy Magazine, either Jan or Feb 92
  (an article on CCD's vs film). 

JANDEL SCIENTIFIC (JAVA)
------------------------
  Another software package (JAVA) is put out by Jandel Scientific. 
  Jandel Scientific, 65 Koch Road, Corte Madera, CA 94925, (415) 924-8640,
  (800) 874-1888.

Microbrian
----------
  Runs on an MS dos platform and uses a 32 bit graphics card
  (Vista), or an about to be released version will support a number of
  super VGA cards.  Its a full blown remote sensed data processing
  system.. It is menu driven (character based screen), but is does not use
  a windowed user interface. Its is hardware protected with a dongle.
  Mbrian = micro Barrier reef Image Anaysis System. It was developed by
  CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Organization) and is
  marketed/ supported by:

  MPA Australia (51 Lusher Road, Croydon, Victoria
  tel + 61 3 724 4488     fax  +61 3 724 4455)

  There are educational and commercial prices, but be prepared to set
  aside $A10k for the first educational licence.  Subsequent ones come
  cheaper (they need to!) It has installed sites worldwide.  It is widely
  used at ANU.

MicroImage
----------
  The remote sensing lab here at Dartmouth currently uses Terra-Mar's
  MicroImage, on 486 PCs with some fancy display hardware.

  Terra-Mar Resource Information Services, Inc.

  1937 Landings Drive Mountain View, CA  94043 415-964-6900   FAX
  415-964-5430

VIDEOSCAN
---------
[ Contact  [email-masked] (Koltovoy Nikolay Alexeevich) - they have
  available software, frame grabbers, A/D converters, real-time image
  processor ]

TIM
---
  TIM for Windows is a package for scientific image processing, which runs
  on a PC under MS-Windows 3.1. It is especially suited for image
  preprocessing and data extraction (image in, data out). It has:

  - 200+ image processing functions, including user definable
  convolutions, non-linear filters, morphology, FFT
  - menus, dialog boxes, browse and support windows
  - a compiled command language for making procedures
  - facilities for adding C-written functions to the program
  - a rich, context sensitive help system
  - support for several frame grabbers

  The program is fast*) and has moderate system requirements**).
  A functional demo version can be obtained from CICA***). This package
  contains addresses to refer to for pricing and ordering details.

    *) Abingdon Cross benchmark on a 486DX2-50: 0.8 sec
   **) Minimum requirements: MS-Windows 3.1, Memory: 4MB, disk: 4MB; 386SX
     A 800x600 or 1024x768 video display @ 256 colours is recommended
  ***) Anonymous FTP to: ftp.cica.indiana.edu; directory pub.pc.win3.demo

  Contact: Robert J. Ekkers <[email-masked]>

Unix-based tools
================

IRAF (Image Reduction and Analysis Facility)
--------------------------------------------
  Developed in the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, Kitt Peak AZ
  It is free, you can ftp it from tucana.noao.edu [140.252.1.1]
  and complement it with STSDAS from stsci.edu [130.167.1.2].
  Email to [email-masked] for more details.
  Apparently this is one of the _de facto_ standards in the astronomical
  image community. They issue a newsletter also.
  They seem to support very well their users. Works with VMS also last
  I heard, and practically has its own shell on top of the VMS/Unix shells.

  It's suggested that you get a copy of saoimage for display under X windows.
  Very flexible/extendable  -- tons (literally 3 linear feet) of
  documentation for the general user, skilled user, and programmer.

ALV
---
  A Sun-specific image toolkit.  Version 2.0.6 posted to
  comp.sources.sun on 11dec89.  Also available via email to
  [email-masked].

AIPS
----
  Astronomical Image Processing System.  Contact: [email-masked]
  (also see the UseNet Newsgroups alt.sci.astro.aips and sci.astro.fits)
  Built by NRAO (National Radio Astronomy Observatory, HQ in Charlottesville,
  VA, sites in NM, AZ, WV).  Software distributed by 9-track, Exabyte, DAT,
  or (non-anonymous) internet ftp.  Documentation (PostScript mostly)
  available via anonymous ftp to baboon.cv.nrao.edu (192.33.115.103),
  directory pub/aips and pub/aips/TEXT/PUBL.  Installation requires building
  the system and thus a Fortran and C compiler.
     This package can read and write FITS data (see sci.astro.fits), and is
  primarily for reduction, analysis, and image enhancement of Radio Astronomy
  data from radio telescopes, particularly the Very Large Array (VLA), a
  synthesis instrument.  It consists of almost 300 programs that do everything
  from copying data to sophisticated deconvolution, e.g. via maximum entropy.
  There is an X11-based Image tool (XAS) and a tek-compatible xterm-based
  graphics tool built into AIPS.  The XAS tool is modelled after the hardware
  functionality of the International Imaging Systems model 70 display unit and
  can do image arithmetic, etc.
    The code is mostly Fortran 77 with some system C language modules, and is
  available for Suns, IBM RS/6000, Dec/Ultrix, Convex, Cray (Unicos), and
  Alliant with support planned for HP-9000/7xx, Solaris 2.1, and maybe SGI.
     There is currently a project - "AIPS++" - underway to rewrite the
  algorithmic functionality of AIPS in a modern setting, using C++ and an
  object oriented approach.  Whereas AIPS is proprietary code (licensed for
  free to non-profit institutions) owner by NRAO and the NSF, AIPS++ will be
  in the public domain at some level, as it is an international effort with
  contributions from the US, Canada, England, the Netherlands, India, and
  Australia to name a few. 

LABOimage
---------
  (version 4.0 is out for X11) It's written in C, and currently
  runs on Sun 3/xxx, Sun 4/xxx (OS3.5, 4.0 and 4.0.3) under SunView.
  The expert system for image segmentation is written in Allegro Common Lisp.
  It was used on the following domains: computer science (image analysis), 
  medicine, biology, physics. It is distributed free of charge (source code).
  Available via anonymous FTP at ftp.ads.com (128.229.30.16), in
  pub/VISION-LIST-ARCHIVE/SHAREWARE/LaboImage_*

  Contact: Prof. Thierry Pun, Computer Vision Group Computing Science Center,
  U-Geneva 12, rue du Lac, CH-1207 Geneva SWITZERLAND
  Phone : +41(22) 787 65 82; fax: +41(22) 735 39 05
  E-mail: [email-masked]  or [email-masked]

Figaro
------
  It was originally made for VMS, and can be obtained from
  Keith Shortridge in Australia ([email-masked])
  and for Unix from Sam Southard at Caltech ([email-masked]).
  It's about 110Mbytes on a Sun.

KHOROS
------
  Moved to the Scientific  Visualization category below

Vista
-----
  The "real thing" is available via anonymous ftp from lowell.edu. Email to
  [email-masked] for more details. Total size less than 20Mbytes.

DISIMP
------
  (Device Independent Software for Image Processing) is a powerful
  system providing both user friendliness and high functionality in
  interactive times.

  Feature Description

  DISIMP incorporates a rich library of image processing utilities and
  spatial data options. All functions can be easily accessed via the
  DISIMP executive. This menu is modular in design and groups image
  processes by their function. Such a logical structure means that
  complicated processes are simply a progression through a series of
  modules.

  Processes include image rectification, classification (unsupervised and
  supervised), intensity transformations, three dimensional display and
  Principal Component Analysis. DISIMP also supports the more simple and
  effective enhancement techniques of filtering, band subtraction and
  ratioing.

  Host Configuration Requirements

  Running on UNIX workstations, DISIMP is capable of processing the more
  computational intensive techniques in interactive processing times.
  DISIMP is available in both Runtime and Programmer's environments. Using
  the Programmers environment, utilities can be developed for specific
  applications programs.

  Graphics are governed by an icon-based Display Panel which allows quick
  enhancments of a displayed image. Manipulations of Look Up Tables,
  colour stretches, changes to histograms, zooming and panning can be
  interactively driven through this control.

  A range of geographic projections enables DISIMP to integrate data of
  image, graphic and textual types. Images can be rectified by a number of
  coordinate systems, providing the true geographic knowledge essential
  for ground truthing. Overlays of grids, text and vector data can be
  added to further enhance referenced imagery.

  The system is a flexible package allowing users of various skill levels
  to determine their own working environment, including the amount of help
  required. DISIMP comes fully configured with no optional extras. The
  purchase price includes all functionality required for professional
  processing of remote sensed data.

  For further information, please contact:

  The Business Manager, CLOUGH Engineering Group Systems Division, 627
  Chapel Street, South Yarra, Australia 3141. Telephone:  +61 3 825 5555
  Fax:  +61 3 826 6463

Global Imaging Software
-----------------------
  "We use Global Imaging Software to process AVHRR data, from the dish to
  the final display. Select a chunk of five band data from a pass,
  automatic navigation, calibrate it to Albedo and Temp, convert that to
  byte, register it to predesigned window, all relatively automatically
  and carefree.

  It has no classification routines to speak of, but it isn't that
  difficult to write your own with their programmer's module.

  Very small operation: one designs, one codes, one sells. Been around for
  a number of years, sold to Weather Service and Navy.  Runs on HP9000
  with HP-UX.  Supports 24-bit display"

HIPS
----
(Human   Information   Processing Laboratory's Image Processing System)

  Michael Landy co-wrote and sell a general-purpose package for image
  processing which has been used for basically all the usual image
  processing applications (robotics, medical, satellite, engineering, oil
  exploration, etc.).  It is called HIPS, and deals with sequences of
  multiband images in the same way it deals with single images.  It has
  been growing since we first wrote it, both by additions from us as well
  as a huge user-contributed library.

  Feature description

  HIPS  is  a  set  of  image  processing  modules  which together provide
  a  powerful  suite  of  tools  for  those interested in research,
  system  development  and  teaching. It  handles  sequences  of  images
  (movies)  in precisely the same manner as single frames.

  Programs and subroutines have been developed  for simple image
  transformations, filtering, convolution, Fourier and other transform
  processing, edge detection  and line  drawing   manipulation, digital
  image compression and transmission  methods, noise generation, and image
  statistics computation. Over 150 such  image transformation programs
  have been developed.  As a result, almost any image processing  task
  can be performed quickly and conveniently. Additionally, HIPS allows
  users to easily integrate  their  own custom  routines.   New users
  become effective using HIPS on their first day.

  HIPS features images that are  self-documenting.   Each image stored  in
  the  system  contains  a  history  of the transformations that have been
  applied to that image.   HIPS includes  a  small  set of subroutines
  which primarily deals with a standardized  image sequence  header,  and
  a  large library  of  image  transformation tools in the form of UNIX
  ``filters''.  It comes complete with source  code,  on-line manual
  pages, and on-line documentation.

  Host Configuration Requirements

  Originally  developed at  New  York  University,  HIPS  now represents
  one of the most extensive and flexible vision and image  processing
  environments currently available.  It runs under the UNIX operating
  system.  It is modular  and  flexible, provides automatic documentation
  of its actions, and is almost entirely independent of special equipment.
  HIPS is now in use on a variety of computers including Vax and
  Microvax, Sun, Apollo,  Masscomp,  NCR Tower, Iris, IBM AT, etc.
  For image display and input, drivers are supplied for the Grinnell and
  Adage (Ikonas) image processors, and the Sun-2, Sun-3, Sun- 4, and
  Sun-386i consoles.  We also  supply  user-contributed drivers  for  a
  number of  other framestores and windowing packages (Sun gfx, Sun
  console, Matrox VIP-1024, ITI IP-512, Lexidata,  Macintosh II, X
  windowing system, and Iris).  The Hipsaddon package includes an
  interface  for the  CRS-4000. It  is  a  simple matter to interface HIPS
  with other frame- stores, and we can put interested users in touch with
  users who  have interfaced HIPS with the Arlunya and Datacube Max-
  Video. HIPS can be easily adapted for other  image  display devices
  because 98% of HIPS is machine independent.

  Availability

  HIPS has proven itself a highly flexible  system,  both as  an
  interactive  research tool, and for more production- oriented tasks. It
  is both easy to use, and quickly adapted and extended to new uses. HIPS
  is supplied on magnetic tape in UNIX tar format (either reel- to-reel or
  Sun  cartridge), and comes with source code, libraries, a library of
  convolu- tion masks, and on-line documentation and manual pages.

  Michael Landy SharpImage Software P.O. Box 373, Prince Street Station
  New York, NY   10012-0007 Voice:  (212) 998-7857 Fax: (212) 995-4011
  [email-masked]

MIRA
----
[ Please DON'T confuse that with the Thalmanns animation system from
  Montreal. These are altogether different beasts! - nfotis ]

  MIRA stands for Microcomputer Image Reduction and Analysis.  MIRA gives
  workstation level performance on 386/486 DOS computers using SVGA cards in
  256 color modes up to 1024x768. MIRA contains a very handsome/functional
  GUI which is mouse and keystroke operated. MIRA reads/writes TIFF and FITS
  formats, native formats of a number of CCD cameras, and uncompressed binary
  images in byte, short integer, and 4-byte real pixel format in 1- or 2-
  dimensions. The result of an image processing operation can be short integer
  or real pixels, or the same as that of the input image. MIRA does the
  operation using short or floating point arithmetic to maintain the precision
  and accuracy of the pixel format. Over 100 functions are hand-coded in
  assembly language for maximum speed on the Intel hardware.  The entire
  graphical interface is also written in assembly language to maximize
  the speed of windowing operations.  Windows for 2-d image and 1-d image/data
  display and analysis have dedicated cursors which read position and value
  value in real time as you move the mouse.  There are also smooth, real time
  contrast and brightness stretch and panning of a magnified portion of
  the displayed image(s), all operated by the mouse. A wide selection of
  grayscale, pseudocolor, and random palettes is provided, and other 
  palettes can be generated.

Supported functions include such niceties as the following:

o  image & image: + - / * interpolation
o  image & constant: + - / *
o  unary operations: abs value, polynomial of pixel value, chs, 1/x, log,
   byteswap, clip values at upper/lower limits, short->real or real->short.
o  combine images by mean, median, mode, or sum of pixel values, with or
   without autoscaling to mean, median, or mode of an image section.
o  convolutions/filters: Laplacian, Sobel edge operator, directional gradient,
   line, Gaussian, elliptical and rectangular equal weight filters, unsharp
   masking, median filters, user defined filter kernel.  Ellipse, rectangle,
   line, gradient, Gaussian, and user defined filters can be rotated to
   any specified angle.
o  CCD data reduction: flat fielding, dark subtraction, column over/underscan
   bias removal, remove bad pixels and column defects, normalize to
   region target mean, median, or modal value.
o  create subimage, mosaic m x n 1-d or 2-d images to get larger image,
   collapse 2-d image into 1-d image.
o  plot 1-d section or collapsed section of 2-d image, plot histogram of
   region of an image.
o  review/change image information/header data, rename keywords, plot
   keyword values for a set of images.
o  luminance/photometry: elliptical or circular aperture photometry,
   brightness profile, isophotal photometry between set of upper & lower
   luminances, area and luminance inside traced polygon. Interactive
   background fitting and removal from part or all of image, fit elliptical
   aperture shape to image isophotes. 
o  interactive with 2-d image: contrast/brightness, x- y- or diagonal plot
   of pixel values, distance between two points, compute region stats,`
   centroid, pan to x,y location or image center, zoom 1/16 to 10 times,
   change cursor to rectangle crosshair, full image crosshair, or off, and
   adjust cursor size on image. Select linear, log or gamma transfer function
   or histogram equalization.
o  interactive or specified image offset computation and re-sampling for
   registration.
o  interactive with 1-d image: zoom in x- y- or both in steps of 1/2 or
   2 times current, re-center plot, or enlarge a framed area. 4 plot buffers
   can be cycled through. Interactive data analysis: polynomial fitting,
   point deletion, undelete, change value, point weighting, linear and
   quadratic loess and binomial smoothing, revert to unit point weights
   or original data buffer, substitute results into data buffer for pass
   back to calling function. Dump data buffer (+ overlays and error bars)
   to file or printer.  Change to user specified coordinate system.
o  Tricolor image combination and display, hardcopy halftone printout to
   HP-PCL compatible printers (Laserjet, deskjet, etc.)
o  Documentation is over 300 pages in custom vinyl binder.

  Cost: 995 $USD/copy

  Available from:

  Axiom Research, Inc.
  Box 44162
  Tucson, AZ  85733
  (602) 791-2864  phone/fax.

  international marketing rep: Saguaro Scientific Corporation, Tucson, Arizona.

SPHINX
------
  Satellite Image Processing under Unix/X11. Specializes in:

  - Image Analysis & Processing (statistical and mathematical filtering
    operations, such as Fourier transforms, convolution product or
    principal component analyses)

  - Satellite Spectra & Orbit Analysis (e.g., GOES, METEOSAT, NOAA, Spot etc.)

  - Easy External Program Interfacing

  - Quick Quality Presentation

A TEST VERSION OF SPHINX IS AVAILABLE AT loasil.citilille.fr
(134.206.50.4) anonymous (bin : cd SPHINX : get ALL_SPHINX.tar.Z)

Developers:
Laboratoire d'Optique Atmospherique (LOA) of the Universite de Lille, France

Support and Questions:
[email-masked]

ITEX
----
  Please see the entry in the DOS-based systems. Their VME hardware also
  works in Unix environments.

==========================================================================

End of Part 3 of the Resource Listing
-- 
Nick (Nikolaos) Fotis         National Technical Univ. of Athens, Greece
HOME: 16 Esperidon St.,       InterNet : [email-masked]
      Halandri, GR - 152 32   UUCP:    pythia!theseas!nfotis
      Athens, GREECE          FAX: (+30 1) 77 84 578