Subject: (3 Oct 94) Computer Graphics Resource Listing : BIWEEKLY [part 2/6]

From: [email-masked] (Nick C. Fotis)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 17:19:25 GMT

Archive-name: graphics/resources-list/part2
Last-modified: 1994/10/03

Computer Graphics Resource Listing : BIWEEKLY POSTING [ PART 2/6 ]
=====================================================
Last Change : 3 Octomber 1994

Subject:
4. Mail servers and graphics-oriented BBSes
===========================================

Please check first with the FTP places above, with archie's help.
Don't overuse mail servers.

There are some troubles with wrong return addresses. Many of these
mail servers have a command like
   path a_valid_return_e-mail_address
to get a hint for sending back to you stuff.

DEC's FTPMAIL
-------------
  Send a one-line message to [email-masked] WITHOUT a Subject: field,
  and having a line containing the word 'help'.
  You should get back a message detailing the relevant procedures you
  must follow in order to get the files you want.

  Note that the "reply" or "answer" command in your mailer will not work
  for this message or any other mail you receive from FTPMAIL.  To send
  requests to FTPMAIL, send an original mail message, not a reply.
  Complaints should be sent to the [email-masked]
  address rather than to postmaster, since DECWRL's postmaster is not
  responsible for fixing ftpmail problems.

BITFTP
------
  For BITNET sites ONLY, there's BITFTP@PUCC.
  Send a one-line 'help' message to this address for more info.

RED
---
  RED - Listserv Redirector is essentially a mail server.
  The Server Sites that are available are:

  Location        EARN/BITNET          Internet
  --------------  ----------------     -------------------
  In Turkey:      TRICKLE@TREARN       [email-masked]
  In Denmark:     TRICKLE@DKTC11
  In Italy:       TRICKLE@IMIPOLI
  In Belgium:     TRICKLE@BANUFS11     [email-masked]
  In Austria:     TRICKLE@AWIWUW11
  In Germany:     TRICKLE@DS0RUS1I     [email-masked]
  In Israel:      TRICKLE@TAUNIVM      [email-masked]
  In Netherlands: TRICKLE@HEARN        [email-masked]
  In France:      TRICKLE@FRMOP11      [email-masked]
  In Colombia:    TRICKLE@UNALCOL      [email-masked]
  In Taiwan:      TRICKLE@TWNMOE10     [email-masked]

  You are  urged to use the  one that is closer  to your location.
  Send a message to one of these containing the body

  /HELP

  and you'll get more instructions.

INRIA-GRAPHLIB
--------------
  Pierre Jancene and Sabine Coquillart launched the inria-graphlib mail
  server a few months ago.

    echo help | mail [email-masked]

  will give you a quick summary of what inria-graphlib contains and 
  how to browse among its files.

    echo send contents | mail [email-masked]

  will return the extended summary.

  As another example :

    echo send cgrl from Misc | mail [email-masked]

  will return the Computer Graphics Resource Listing mirrored from
  comp.graphics.

  An access via Gopher to inria-graphlib was added last September to
  the one via e-mail.
         xgopher gopher.inria.fr 71
  will connect you to the inria-graphlib service. The Listing is under the
  Misc directory

BBSes
=====
  There are many BBSes that store datafiles, etc.etc., but a guide to these
  is beyond the scope of this Listing (and the resources of the author!)
  If you can point to me Internet- or mail- accessible BBSes that carry
  interesting stuff, send me info!

  Studio Amiga is a 3D modelling and ray tracing specific BBS, (817) 467-3658.
  24 hours, 105 Meg online.
--
From Jeff Walkup <[email-masked]>:
  "The Castle" 415/355-2396 (14.4K/v.32bis/v.42/v.42bis/MNP)
  (In Pacifica, dang close to San Francisco, California, USA)
  The new-user password is: "TAO".
  
  [J]oin base #2; The Castle G/FX, Anim, Video, 3D S.I.G., of which
  I am the SIG-Op, "Lazerus".
--
'You Can Call Me Ray' ray tracing related BBS in Chicago suburbs (708-358-5611)
 or (708-358-8721)
--
  Digital Pixel (Sysop: Mark Ng <[email-masked]>)

  Phone : (416) 298 1487
  Storage space: 330 megs
  Modem type:  14.4k baud,16.8k (Zyxel) , v32bis ,v32, mnp 5

  Access Fee: none (free)
  System supported : DOS, OS/2, Amiga, Mac.  
  Netmail:     Currently no echo mail.
  Topics:      Raytracing, Fractals, Graphics programming, CAD, Any Comp.
               Graphics related  

--
From: David Tiberio <[email-masked]>

  Amiga Graphics BBS (516) 473-6351 in Long Island, New York,
  running 24 hours at 14.4k v.32bis, with 157 megs on line.
  We also subscribe to 9 mailing lists, of which 5 originate
  from our BBS, with 3 more to be added soon. These include:

  Lightwave, Imagine, Real 3D (ray tracing)

  Database files include:
  Imagine 3D objects, 3D renderings, scalable fonts, music
  modules, sound samples, demos, animations, utilities,
  text databases, and pending Lightwave 3D objects.
--
The Graphics Alternative
[ From: [email-masked] (Adam Shiffman) ]

  Name:     The Graphics Alternative
  Location: El Cerrito, CA
  Sysop:    Adam Shiffman
  Node:     510-524-2780 (USR Dual v.32bis/HST 14.4k, Public Access)
  Node:     510-524-2165 (Hayes Optima 288, V.FC 28.8k, Subscribers)
  Node:     510-524-5081 (USR Sporster v.32bis 14.4k, Subscribers)
  # Users:  2100+

  TGA focuses heavily on 3D Rendering, Raytracing, Modeling, 3D Ani-
  mation and Digital Imaging.  The system is designed for use by both
  serious amateurs and industry professionals.  TGA offers a complete
  suite of shareware and freeware programs, images, animations, viewers,
  source code, and much more, including lots of utilities such as the
  MORAY modeler for POV, the BLOB Modeler for POV/Polyray, PV3D, etc,.

  TGA also offers quality messaging with complete access to PCGnet (The
  Professional CAD and Graphics Network), and access to graphics related
  echoes within Fidonet and Usenet News Groups.  TGA also offers
  Internet e-mail via a reliable UUCP gateway.

  Running PCBoard 15.1 BBS software under DESQview on a 80386-40 system
  with 8MB of RAM, 1.84GB of storage, and a 4-8GB 4mm DAT backup drive,
  open 24 hours.

--
From: Scott Bethke <[email-masked]>

The Intersection BBS, 410-742-5452

  This BBS Is dedicated to supporting 3D Animators.The system is provided
  FREE OF CHARGE, and is NOT Commercialized in ANYWAY.
  Users are given FULL Access on the first call.

Features: Usenet NEWS & Internet Mail, Fidonet Echo's & Netmail,
	200 Megs online, V.32bis/V.42bis Modem.

Platforms of interest: Amiga & The VideoToaster, Macintosh, Ms-Dos,
	Unix Workstations (Sun, SGI, etc), Atari-ST.
--
From: Alfonso Hermida <[email-masked]>:

 Pi Square BBS (301)725-9080 in Maryland. It supports raytracers such as POV
 and VIVID. The BBS runs off a 486/33Mhz, 100Megs hard drive and CD ROM.
 Now it runs on a 14400 bps modem.

 Home of POVCAD. There are 2 versions, one for DOS graphics and the other
 one is for Windows.  This modeler is a 3D wireframe based modeler.
 The current version (for PCs) is 2.0a, while the Windows version is
 3.0a.

 Topics: computer graphics, PoV raytracer, Polyray raytracer,
 3D modeling, POVCAD (PoV and Polyray wireframe modeler), Blob Sculptor 
 (blob modeler)

--
From: Lynn Falkow <[email-masked]>:

  Vertech Design's GRAPHIC CONNECTION. (503) 591-8412 in Portland, Oregon.
  V.32/V.42bis.

  The BBS, aside from carrying typical BBS services like message bases
  ( all topic specific ) and files ( CAD and graphics related -- hundreds
  of megabytes ), also offers material texture files that are full color,
  seamlessly tiling, photo-realistic images.  There are samples available
  to first time callers.  The BBS is a subscription system although callers
  have 2 hours before they must subscribe, and there are several subscription
  rates available.   People interested in materials can subscribe to the
  library in addition to a basic subscription rate, and can use their
  purchased time to download whichever materials they wish.

--
From: [email-masked] (Bob Anderson)

Pair O Dice BBS in Austin, Texas, USA is focused on personal computer graphics.

We keep shareware and PD graphic utilities for the Amiga, MS-Dos, Windows and
Mac user.  We also have an extensive graphic collection as well as text files
and newsgroups regarding cyberart.   The OTIS online art gallery is also kept
online here for those that have no Net connection. 

1.512.451.4610  @  1200 - 2400 
1.512.451.7117  @  4400 - 14.4k

24hrs, 365 days

--
From: [email-masked] <Jeff Zemke>

  The Graphics Emporium BBS
  (310) 374-8805
  600MB with on-line discussions
  14.4 baud /  24hrs / 7days
  'The 2D/3D graphics hub for the West'

  A FirstClass(tm) BBS dedicated to 2D and 3D graphics designers.  600MB 
  on-line with objects, textures, applications and other graphics related 
  media.  Free access, but please use the FirstClass client to connect. 
  Command line users can download the client (Mac/Windows) during first 
  login.  A OneNet member with many gateways to Major Graphics Design 
  Companies.  If you need a resource, it is probably here.....

--
From: [email-masked] (Neil Clark) [SYSOP]

  The Tackle Box BBS (405) 359-3301
  100% DEDICATED to Ray Tracing!!!!

  Over 2 GIG online with 40 file areas. Now featuring the 'Tracers and
  Tracings CD-ROM'!! Now over 5,500 files!!!

  File areas include: Graphics Programs, Ray Traced Images, Hall of Fame
  Images, POV-Ray scene files, POV-Ray utilities, POV-Ray Modelers,
  Graphics Converters, Ray Traced Animations, OBJ objects such as
  Viewpoint Engineering (from avalon site), Textures, Fractal Programs,
  Virtual Reality, Graphics Source code, and MUCH MORE!

  Access is FREE with downloads on the very first call. Subscriptions
  are available for only $20 for a whole year. (70 min/ 2MEG per day)

  2400-14.4 baud, 24 hours a day.

==========================================================================

Subject:
5. Ray-tracing/graphics-related mailing lists
=============================================

Imagine
-------
  Modeling and animation system for the Amiga:
  send subscription requests to [email-masked]
  send material to [email-masked]
  (Dave Wickard has substituted Steve Worley in the maintenance of
  the mailing list) - PLEASE note that the unisys.com address is
  NO longer valid!!!

Alias
-----
  Modeling and animation system for SGI machines:

  To subscribe, send a mail containing the body

  subscribe alias-l  <Your_full_name>

  to [email-masked]

  Send material to [email-masked]

LightWave
---------
  This modeling and animation package comes (usually) with NewTek's
  Video Toaster for the Amiga.

  To subscribe, send a mail containing the body

		subscribe lightwave-l  <Your_full_name>

	to	[email-masked]

  Send material to [email-masked]

  If you encounter any problems, by all means send e-mail to
  [email-masked] or [email-masked].

Video Toaster
-------------
  NewTek's Video Toaster for the Amiga.

  To subscribe, send a mail containing the body

		subscribe toaster-l  <Your_full_name>

	to	[email-masked]

  If you encounter any problems, by all means send e-mail to
  [email-masked] or [email-masked].

3D Studio
---------
  Autodesk's well known PC-based modelling/rendering/animation package.

  To subscribe, send a mail containing the body

		subscribe 3dstudio

	to	[email-masked]

  Send material to [email-masked]

  If you encounter any problems or want to ask questions about the mailing
  list itself, send e-mail to [email-masked].

Real 3D
-------
  Another modeling and animation system for the Amiga (and now for the PCs).
  To subscribe, send a mail containing the body

  subscribe real3d-l   <Your_full_name>

  to [email-masked]

  Send material to [email-masked]

Rayshade
--------
  send subscription requests to [email-masked]
  send material to [email-masked]
  (Craig Kolb)

Alladin 4D for the Amiga
----------
  send subscription requests to [email-masked]

  and in the body of the message write

  #Alladin 4D username@domain

Radiance
--------
  Greg Ward, the author, sends to registered (via e-mail) users digests of
  his correspodence with them, notes about fixes, updates, etc.
  His address is: [email-masked]

REND386
-------
  send subscription requests to [email-masked]
  send material to [email-masked]

PoV ray / DKB raytracers
------------------------
  To subscribe, send a mail containing the body

  subscribe dkb-l  <Your_full_name>

  to [email-masked]

  send material to [email-masked]

Mailing List for Massively Parallel Rendering
---------------------------------------------
  send subscription requests to [email-masked]
  send material to [email-masked]

IBM Data Explorer SciVi package
-------------------------------
  send material to [email-masked] (??)

Wavefront
---------
  High end 3D modelling/animation/rendering for Unix machines.
  send subscription requests to [email-masked]  with
  a *body* of:

  // JOB
  subscribe wavefr-l <yournamehere>
  // EOJ

  And you'll get a message (hopefully) that gives you more instructions

  For Usenet folks, the comp.soft-sys.wavefront newsgroup has been created.

Terrain Rendering
-----------------
  List for discussion of terrain rendering techniques.
  Send your subscription requests to:

	[email-masked].

VOGLE / VOGL
------------
  send subscription requests to [email-masked]
  send material to [email-masked]

POVGUI
------
  There is a new mailing list for the development of a GUI for POV.

  [email-masked] (aka [email-masked])

  to subscribe, send mail to [email-masked] with a line

  SUBSCRIBE POVGUI-L Full Name

RENDERWARE
----------
  Criterion's (A Canon Company) real time renderer and API for various
  platforms.

  To subscribe, send a mail containing the body

  subscribe RW-LIST  <Your_full_name>

  to [email-masked]

Playmation / Animation Master
-----------------------------
  From Hash, Inc, these packages are spline-based and do 3D modelling,
  animation, and rendering. [ Amiga, PCs, Macs ]

  To subscribe, send a mail containing the body

  subscribe animaster-l

  to [email-masked]

  send material to [email-masked]

  If you encounter any problems or want to ask questions about the mailing
  list itself, send e-mail to [email-masked] (Vance Gloster)

==========================================================================

Subject:
6. Scene description languages
==============================

NFF
---
  Neutral file format , by Eric Haines. Very simple, there are some
  procedural database generators in the SPD package, and many objects
  floating in various FTP sites. There's also a previewer written in
  HP Starbase from E.Haines. Also there's one written in VOGLE, so you can
  use any of the devices VOGLE can output on.
  (Check in sites carrying VOGLE, like gondwana.ecr.mu.oz.au)

OFF
---
  Object file format, from DEC's Randy Rost ([email-masked]).
[ The object archive server seems to be mothballed. In a future version,
 I'll remove the ref. to it -- nfotis ]

  Available also through their mail server. To obtain help about using this
  service, send a message with a "Subject:" line containing only the word
  "help" and a null message body to: [email-masked].
  [For FTP places to get it, see in the relevant place]. There's an OFF
  previewer for SGI 4D machines, called off-preview in
  godzilla.cgl.rmit.oz.au . There are previewers for xview and sunview,
  also on gondwana.

TDDD
----
It's a library of 3D objects with translators to/from OFF, NFF,
Rayshade, Imagine or vort objects.
Edited copy of the announcement follows (from Raytracing News, V4,#3):

  New Library of 3D Objects Available via FTP, by Steve Worley
  ([email-masked])

  I have assembled a set of over 150 3D objects in a binary format
  called TDDD. These objects range from human figures to airplanes,
  from semi-trucks to lampposts.  These objects are all freely
  distributable, and most have READMEs that describe them.

  In order to convert these objects to a human-readable format, a file
  with the specification of TDDD is included in the directory with the
  objects. There is also a shareware system called TTDDDLIB (officially
  on hubcap.clemson.edu) that will convert (ala PBM+) to/from various
  object formats : Imagine TTDDD (extension of TDDD?), OFF, NFF,
  Rayshade 4.0, or vort. Source included for Amiga/Unix as executables
  for the Amiga. Also outputs Framemaker MIF files and isometric views
  in Postscript.

P3D
---
  From Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center. The P3D uses lisp with slight
  extensions to store three-dimensional models. A simple lisp
  interpreter is included with the P3D release, so there is no need to
  have access to any vendor's lisp to run this software.

  The mouse-driven user interfaces for Motif, Open Look, and Silicon
  Graphics GL, and the DrawP3D subroutine library for generating P3D
  without ever looking at the underlying Lisp.

  The P3D software currently supports nine renderers.  They are:
  Painter - Painter's Algorithm, Dore, Silicon Graphics Inc. GL language,
  Generic Phigs, Sun Phigs+, DEC Phigs+, Rayshade, ART ray tracer (from
  VORT package) and Pixar RenderMan.

  The code is available via anonymous FTP from the machines
  ftp.psc.edu, directory pub/p3d, and nic.funet.fi, directory
  pub/graphics/programs/p3d.

RenderMan
---------
  Pixar's RenderMan is not free - call Pixar for details.

==========================================================================

Subject:
7. Solids description formats
=============================

a. EEC's ESPRIT project 322 CAD*I (CAD Interfaces) has developed a
  neutral file format for transfer of CAD data (curves, surfaces, and
  solid models between CAD systems and from CAD to CAA (Computer Aided
  Analysis) an CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing)

b. IGES [v. 5.2 now] tries to define a standard to tranfer solid
  models - Brep and CSG. The current standard number is ANSI Y14.26M-1987
  For documentation, you might want to contact Nancy Flower at
  NCGA Technical Services and Standards, 1-800-225-6242 ext. 308.
  and the cost is $300 [$100 for 5.1], plus S&H.
  This standard is not available in electronic format.

c. PDES/STEP : This slowly emerging standard tries to encompass not only
  the geometrical information, but also for things like FEM, etc.
  The main bodies besides this standard are NIST and DARPA. You can get
  more information about PDES by sending mail to [email-masked]
  and putting the line
	send index
  in the body (NOT the Subject:) area of the message.

  The people at Rutherford Appleton Lab.  are also working
  on STEP tools: they have an EXPRESS compiler and an Exchange file parser,
  both available in source form (and for free) for research purposes.
  Soon they will also have an EXPRESS-based database system.

  For the tools contact Mike Mead, Phone: +44 (0235) 44 6710 (FAX: x 5893),
  e-mail: [email-masked] or {...!}mcsun!uknet!rlinf!mm or
          [email-masked]

=======================================================================

Subject:
8. Plotting packages
=====================

Gnuplot 3.5
-----------
  It is one of the best 2- and 3-D plotting packages, with
  online help.It's a command-line driven interactive function plotting utility
  for UNIX, MSDOS, Amiga, Archimedes, and VMS platforms (at least!).
  Freely distributed, it supports many terminals, plotters, and printers
  and is easily extensible to include new devices.

  It was posted to comp.sources.misc in version 3.0, plus patches.
  You can practically find it everywhere (use Archie to find a site near you!).
  The comp.graphics.gnuplot newsgroup is devoted to discussion of Gnuplot.

Xvgr and Xmgr (ACE/gr)
-----------------------
  Xmgr is an XY-plotting tool for UNIX workstations using
  X or OpenWindows. There is an XView version called xvgr for
  Suns. Collectively, these 2 tools are known as ACE/gr.
  Compiling xmgr requires the Motif toolkit version 1.1
  and X11R4 - xmgr will not compile under X11R3/Motif 1.0x.

  Check at ftp.ccalmr.ogi.edu [129.95.72.34] in
  /CCALMR/pub/acegr/xmgr-?.??.tar.Z (Motif version)
#  /CCALMR/pub/acegr/xvgr-?.??.tar.Z (XView version)
+ (Substitute the version number, ?.?? with at least 3.01)

  Comments, suggestions, bug reports to Paul J Turner
  <[email-masked]>

Robot
-----
  Release 0.48 : 2-D and limited 3-D. Based on XView 3, written
  in C / Fortran (so you need a Fortran compiler or the f2c translator).
  Mainly tested on Sun4, less on DECstations. Check at
  ftp.astro.psu.edu (128.118.147.28),  pub/astrod.

  The relevant files are:
  robotx-.--.tar.Z        - Full source, plotting library, example scripts,
                            documentation etc. 
                            "-.--" is the version number, e.g. the file
                             may be robotx0.48.tar.Z
  robot-beta.tar.Z        - most recent but untested version of the above.
  RobotManual.ps.Z        - just the documentation.
  robot.sun4.Z            - binary built on a SPARCstation (SunOS4.1.1).
  robot.dec.Z             - binary built on a DECstation (Ultrix).
  robot.linux.gz          - binary built on an IBM PC clone (LINUX).
                            (compressed with gzip)

VG plotting library
-------------------
  This is a library of Fortran callable routines at sunspot.ceee.nist.gov
  [129.6.64.151]

Xgobi
-----
  It's being developed at Bellcore, and its speciality are
  multidimensional data sets analysis and exploration. You can call it
  from the S language also, and it works as an X11 client using the Athena
  widget set (or with an ASCII terminal). It's distributed free of charge
  from STATLIB at CMU.
  To get it via e-mail, send email to [email-masked] and
  in the body area of the message, put the line

  send xgobi from general

  If you want to pick it via ftp, connect to lib.stat.cmu.edu. Log in as
  "statlib" and use your e-mail address as your password. Then type

  cd general
  mget xgobi.*

  Warning: It's about 2 MB sources + large Postscript manual. Read the
  relevant README to decide whether you need it or not.

PGPLOT
------
  Runs on VAX/VMS and supposedly on UNIX. It's a set of fortran routines freely
  available (though copyrighted and requiring a nominal fee of $50 or so)
  that includes contour plots and support for various devices, including ps.
  Contact [email-masked]

GGRAPH
------
  Host shorty.cs.wisc.edu [128.105.2.8] : /pub/ggraph.tar.Z
  Unknown more details.

epiGRAPH
--------
  For PCs. Call [email-masked] (Vladimir J. Dmitriev) for details.
  You can get the program demo or (and) play version, if sent 10 $ to

        1251 Budapest posta fiok 60
        Hungary
        ph/fax 1753696  Budapest
        ph     2017760

Multiplot XLN
-------------
  For Amigas, shareware ($30 USD, #20 UK or $40 Aust.). Advanced 2D package
  that has a big list of features. Contact:

  Dr. Alan Baxter <[email-masked]>,
  Cambridge University
  Department of Pathology,
  Tennis Court Road,
  Cambridge CB2 1QP, UK

Athena Plotter Widget set
-------------------------
  
  This version V6.0 is based on Gregory Bond's version V5-beta. Added
  some stuff for scientific graphs, i.e. log axes, free scalable axes,
  XY-lineplots and some more, and re-added plotter callbacks from V4, e.g.
  to request the current pointer position, or to cut off a rectangle from the
  plotting area for zooming-in. Version V6.0 has a log of bugs fixed and a
  log of improvements against V6-beta. Additionally I did some other
  changes/extensions, besides 
  
  -     Origin and frame lines for axes.
  -     Subgrid lines on subtic positions.
  -     Line plots in different line types (lines, points, lines+points,
   impulses, lines+impulses, steps, bars), line styles (solid, dotted,
   dashed, dot-dashed) and marker types for data points.
  -     Legend at the right or left hand side of the plot.
  -     Optional drawing to a pixmap instead of a window.
  -     Layout callback for aligning axis positions when using
   multiple plotters in one application.
  
  Available at export.lcs.mit.edu, directory contrib/plotter

SciPlot
-------
  SciPlot is a scientific 2D plotting and manipulation program. 
  For the NeXT (requires NeXTStep 3.0), and it's shareware.

  Features:
  ASCII import and export;  EPS export; copy, cut, paste with data buffer;
  free number of data points, data buffer, and document window;
  selective open and save ; plotting in many styles; automatic legend;
  subviews; linear and logarithmic axes; two different axes; text and graphic;
  color support; zoom; normalizing and moving; axis conversions;
  free hand data manipulations (cut, edit, move, etc.); data editor; sorting
  of data; absolute,relative, and free defined error bars;
  calculating with buffers (+, -, *, / ); background subtractions
  (linear,shirley,tougaard, bezier); integration and relative integration;
  fitting of one or more free defined functions; linear regression;
  calculations (+, -, *, /, sin, cos, log, etc.); function generator;
  spline interpolation; least square smooth and FFT smooth; differentiation;
  FFT; ESCA calculations and database; .. and something more 

  You can find it on:
  ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de [130.149.17.7] : /pub/NeXT/science/SciPlot3.1.tar.Z

  Author:
  Michael Wesemann
  Scillerstr. 73,1000 Berlin 12, Germany   
  [email-masked]

PLPLOT
------
  PLPLOT is a scientific plotting package for many systems, small (micro)
  and large (super) alike.  Despite its small size and quickness,
  it has enough power to satisfy most users, including:
  standard x-y plots, semilog plots, log-log plots, contour plots, 3D plots,
  mesh plots, bar charts and pie charts.  Multiple graphs (of the same or
  different sizes) may be placed on a single page with multiple lines in each
  graph.  Different line styles, widths and colors are supported.  A virtually
  infinite number of distinct area fill patterns may be used.  There are
  almost 1000 characters in the extended character set.  This includes four
  different fonts, the Greek alphabet and a host of mathematical, musical, and
  other symbols.  The fonts can be scaled to any size for various effects.
  Many different output device drivers are available (system dependent),
  including a portable metafile format and renderer.
  
  Freely available (but copyrighted) via anonymous FTP on
  hagar.ph.utexas.edu, directory pub/plplot
  
  At present (v. 4.13), PLPLOT is known to work on the following systems:
  
  Unix:   SunOS, A/IX, HP-UX, Unicos, DG/UX, Ultrix
  Other platforms: VMS, Amiga/Exec, MS-DOS, OS/2, NeXT
  
  Authors: Many. The main supporters are:
  
  Maurice LeBrun <[email-masked]>: PLPLOT kernel and the metafile,
     xterm, xwindow, tektronix, and Amiga drivers.
  Geoff Furnish <[email-masked]>: MS-DOS and OS/2 drivers
  Tony Richardson <[email-masked]>: PLPLOT on the NeXT

GLE
---
  GLE is a high quality graphics package for scientists.  It runs on a
  variety of platforms (PCs, VAXes, and Unix) with drivers for XWindows,
  REGIS, TEK4010, PC graphics cards, VT100s, HP plotters, Postscript
  printers, Epson-compatible printers and Laserjet/Paintjet printers.  It
  provides LaTEX quality fonts, as well as full support for Postscript
  fonts.  The graphing module provides full control over all features of
  graphs.  The graphics primitives include user-defined subroutines for
  complex pictures and diagrams.

  Accompanying utilities include Surface (for hidden line surface
  plotting), Contour (for contour plots), Manip (for manipulation of
  columnar data files), and Fitls (for fitting arbitrary equations to
  data).

  GLE is written and maintained by Chris Pugmire <[email-masked]>

  Available via anon. FTP at these places:

  PC gle: SIMTEL, wuarchive.wustl.edu, and other mirrors, msdos/graphics/gle*.*
  UNIX gle: zephyr.grace.cri.nz (131.203.1.5), pub/gle/unix
  VMS gle: zephyr.grace.cri.nz (131.203.1.5), pub/gle/vms

  Mailing list: GLEList. Send a message to

  [email-masked], with a message boyd containing

  sub glelist "Your Name"
  
  Mailing list maintainer: Dean Pentcheff <[email-masked]>

SM (formerly supermongo)
------------------------
  SM is an interactive plotting package for drawing graphs written
  by Robert Lupton and Patricia Monger. It has some capability to handle image
  data, but mostly works with vectors. The main features of the package are:
    - one can generate a plot with a minimum number of simple commands,
    - one can build and save plot subroutines to be invoked with a single
      user-defined command,
    - the program keeps a history of plot commands which can be edited and
      defined as a plot subroutine, to be reused,
    - one can define and perform mathematical operations on the data to be 
      plotted from within the program, or read it from an ASCII file.

  SM runs on Unix and Unix-variant systems and VMS systems.  The next release
  (2.2.1, June 1993) will also run on DOS PCs (sorry, no MacOS yet).

  SM has drivers for Sunview, X10, X11, SGI, various tek401x emulators, UIS,
  LN03, Imagen impress, QMS quic, HP Laserjet, and Postscript laser printers 
  (also color and encapsulated postscript), raster devices, HPGL, REGIS 
  graphics, and several odd (and likely obsolete) graphics terminals.

  Cost:
  SM is available for $300 U.S., $360 Canadian to university departments.  A 
  university-wide site license is $1500 U.S., $1800 Canadian.  Prices for 
  commercial or government agencies are $500 U.S. for a department, $2500 U.S. 
  for an entire site.

  SM is not for sale to groups who want to use it for weapons research projects
  for the military agencies of any country.

  You only buy it once - the license entitles you to unlimited free upgrades.
  The distribution includes the source, documentation (TeX files), and 
  permission to install the program on all the machines at your site.  

  Contact:
  patricia monger
  [email-masked]

PlotMTV
-------
  tanqueray.berkeley.edu : /pub/Plotmtv1.3.1.tar.Z (~1 MB) - with source

  Tested on IBM RS6000, SPARCs and HP s700, and other machines with Unix/X11
  (eg. Linux)

  The program can do 2D and 3D line/scatter plots, vector plots, as
  well as contour plots.  Contours can be plotted from regular rectangular
  meshes, triangular meshes, as well as random data.
  The X11 routines use the X11R4 Xlib library, but the program has reportedly
  been compiled successfully on X11R5.
  The program reads in data in the MTVDAT format and plots each dataset
  in  the  data-file  in turn.
  Each plot comes with a simple but functional Graphical User Interface,
  which allows users to  zoom  in  or  pan  to areas  of  interest on the
  plot, or to toggle between 2D and 3D plots, or to rotate 3D plots.
  The plots may then be sent directly to a grayscale or color PostScript
  printer for hard-copy output.

  Author:
  Kenny Toh <[email-masked]>

TRIUMF/PLOTDATA
----------------
[ For VAX/VMS. It's believed that's available free or at extremely low cost ]

Contact:

TRIUMF
4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada V6T 2A3

e-mail: [email-masked]

+Mtrace / xplot
+--------------
+  Mtrace2 is a user-friendly, Motif,Postscript plotter based on the xplot
+  package.
+
+  ftp loasil.univ-lille1.fr [134.206.50.4]
+  login anonymous
+  passwd ...
+
+  cd MOTIF/MTRACE_3.0
+  bin
+  mget ...
+
+  Binaries
+  Mtrace2.ALPHA.Z                 DEC ALPHA
+  Mtrace2.RS6000.Z                IBM RS6000
+  Mtrace2.HP700.Z                 HP 9000/700
+  Mtrace2.SG.Z                    SILICON GRAPHICS
+
+  Motif allows to modify all the panels and buttons color of Mtrace2

==========================================================================

End of Part 2 of the Resource Listing
-- 
Nick (Nikolaos) Fotis         National Technical Univ. of Athens, Greece
HOME: 16 Esperidon St.,       InterNet : [email-masked]
      Halandri, GR - 152 32   UUCP:    pythia!theseas!nfotis
      Athens, GREECE          FAX: (+30 1) 77 84 578