Subject: (3 Oct 94) Computer Graphics Resource Listing : BIWEEKLY [part 1/6]

From: [email-masked] (Nick C. Fotis)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 17:19:03 GMT

Archive-name: graphics/resources-list/part1
Last-modified: 1994/10/03

Computer Graphics Resource Listing : BIWEEKLY POSTING [ PART 1/6 ]
=====================================================
Last Change : 3 Octomber 1994

Many FAQs, including this Listing, are available on the archive site
rtfm.mit.edu [18.181.0.24] in the directory pub/usenet/news.answers.
The name under which a FAQ is archived appears in the Archive-name line
at the top of the article.
#This FAQ is archived as graphics/resources-list/part[1-6]

There's a mail server on that machine. You send a e-mail message to
[email-masked]  containing the keyword "help" (without
quotes!) in the message body.

You can see in many other places for this Listing. See the item:

0. Places to find the Resource Listing

for more information.

Items Changed:
--------------
[ Still playing catchup with my mailbox - now it's 700 messages than 2400+
  (gulp! and I was missing only a month...) ]

[ Re-formatted the Subject: lines, in order to be easier to auto-convert
 to HTML from the OSU people ]
[ Re-split the Listing into 6 parts, because some parts were getting really
 big ]

3. Computer graphics FTP site list, by Eric Haines
8. Plotting packages
10. Scene generators/geographical data/Maps/Data files
11. 3D scanners - Digitized 3D Data.
16. Scientific visualization stuff

--------------

Lines which got changed, have the `#' character in front of them.
Added lines are prepended with a `+'
Removed lines are just removed. Use 'diff' to locate these changes.

========================================================================

This text is (C)Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994 of Nikolaos C. Fotis. You can copy
freely this file, provided you keep this copyright notice intact.

Compiled by Nikolaos (Nick) C. Fotis, e-mail: [email-masked]

Please contact me for updates,corrections, etc.

Disclaimer: I do not guarantee the accuracy of this document.
Use it at your own risk.

========================================================================

This is mainly a guide for computer graphics software.
I would suggest reading the Comp. Graphics FAQ for image analysis stuff.

It's entitled: 
 (date) comp.graphics Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

 John T. Grieggs <[email-masked]> is the poster of the
 official comp.graphics FAQ

I have included my comments within braces '[' and ']'.

Nikolaos Fotis

========================================================================

Contents of the Resource Listing
================================

PART 1:
-------
0. Places to find the Resource Listing
1. ARCHIE
2. Notes
3. Computer graphics FTP site list, by Eric Haines

PART 2:
-------
4. Mail servers and graphics-oriented BBSes
5. Ray-tracing/graphics-related mailing lists.
6. Scene description languages
7. Solids description formats
8. Plotting packages

PART 3:
-------

9. Image analysis software - Image processing and display

PART 4:
-------
10. Scene generators/geographical data/Maps/Data files
11. 3D scanners - Digitized 3D Data.
12. Background imagery/textures/datafiles
13. Introduction to rendering algorithms
   a. Ray tracing
   b. Z-buffer (depth-buffer)
   c. Others
14. Where can I find the geometric data for the:
   a. Teapot ?
   b. Space Shuttle ?
15. Image annotation software - Paint Programs

PART 5:
-------
16. Scientific visualization stuff
17. Molecular visualization stuff

PART 6:
-------
18.  3D graphics editors
   a. Public domain, free and shareware systems
   b. Commercial systems
19. GIS (Geographical Information Systems software)
20. User Interface Builders   ----   (Please send me information!)

Future additions:
[Please send me updates/info!]

========================================================================

Subject:
0. Places to find the Resource Listing
======================================

This file is crossposted to comp.graphics, comp.answers and news.answers,
so if you can't locate it in comp.graphics, you're advised to search in
comp.answers or news.answers
(The latter groups usually are archived in your site. Contact your sysadmin
for more info).

These 3 articles are posted to comp.graphics 3-4 times a month and are kept in
many places (see below)

--

The inria-graphlib mail server mirrors this posting (see under the
Subject 4: Mail servers )

--

The Resource Listing is accesible through WAIS in the machine
enuxva.eas.asu.edu (port 8000) under the name graphics-resources-list.
It's got a digest-type line before every numbered item for purposes of
indexing.

--

Another place that monitors the Listing is the MaasInfo files.
For more info contact Robert E. Maas <[email-masked]>

--

Yet another place to search for FAQs in general is the SWITCH
(Swiss Academic and Research Network) system in Switzerland:

interactive:
  telnet nic.switch.ch [130.59.1.40], login as "info". Move to the
  info_service/Usenet/periodic-postings directory. Search in the
  00index file by typing "/" and the word to look for.
  You may then just read the FAQ in the "faqs" directory, or decide
  to fetch it by one of the following methods.

ftp:
  login to nic.switch.ch [130.59.1.40] as user anonymous and
  enter your internet-style address after being prompted for a
  password.

	cd info_service/Usenet/periodic-postings

mail:
  send e-mail to

RFC-822:
   [email-masked]
X.400:
  /S=archive-server/OU=nic/O=switch/PRMD=switch/ADMD=arcom/C=ch/

Enter 'help' in the bodypart to receive instructions. No information
is required in the subject header line.

=============================================================

Subject:
1. ARCHIE
=========

The Archie is a service system to locate FTP places for
requested files. It's appreciated that you will use Archie
before asking help in the newsgroups.

Archie servers:
  archie.au or 139.130.4.6             (Aussie/NZ)
  archie.funet.fi or 128.214.6.100  (Finland/Eur.)
  archie.th-darmstadt.de or 130.83.128.111  (GER.)
  cs.huji.ac.il or 132.65.6.5             (Israel)
  archie.kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp or 130.54.20.1 (JAPAN)
  archie.sogang.ac.kr or 163.239.1.11      (Korea)
  archie.ncu.edu.tw or telnet 140.115.19.24  (TWN)
  archie.doc.ic.ac.uk or 146.169.3.7  (UK/Ireland)
  archie.sura.net or 128.167.254.179    (USA [MD])
  archie.unl.edu (password: archie1)    (USA [NE])
  archie.ans.net or 147.225.1.2         (USA [NY])
  archie.rutgers.edu or 128.6.18.15     (USA [NJ])
  archie.nz or 130.195.9.4           (New Zealand)

Connect to Archie server with telnet and type "archie" as username.
To get help type 'help'.
You can get 'xarchie' or 'archie', which are clients that call Archie
without the burden of a telnet session.
'Xarchie' is on the X11.R5 contrib tape, and 'archie' on comp.sources.misc,
vol. 27.

To get information on how to use Archie via e-mail, send mail with
subject "help" to "archie" account at any of above sites.

(Note to Janet/PSS users -- the United Kingdom archie site is
accessible on the Janet host doc.ic.ac.uk [000005102000].
Connect to it and specify "archie" as the host name and "archie" as
the username.)

==========================================================================

2. Notes
========
(Excerpted from the FAQ article)

Please do *not* post or mail messages saying "I can't FTP, could
someone mail this to me?"  There are a number of automated mail servers
that will send you things like this in response to a message.

There are a number of sites that archive the Usenet sources newsgroups
and make them available via an email query system.  You send a message
to an automated server saying something like "send comp.sources.unix/fbm",
and a few hours or days later you get the file in the mail.

==========================================================================

Subject:
3. Computer graphics FTP site list
==================================

Computer graphics related FTP sites (and maintainers), 3 Oct. 1994
	compiled by Eric Haines, [email-masked]
	and Nick Fotis, [email-masked]

First are listed various computer graphics related resources, with a particular
focus on 3D rendering and modelling.  As this list grew out of the Ray Tracing
News, I focus on this topic first.  At the end are the FTP sites for all
software and more.  Here's the table of contents:

	Ray-tracers
	Distributed/Parallel Raytracers
	Renderers which are not raytracers, and graphics libraries
	Modellers, wireframe viewers
	Radiosity renderers
	Volume renderers
	Geometric viewers
	Data Formats and Data Sets for Ray Tracing
	Written Material on Rendering
	Image Manipulation Libraries
	Animation Players
	Paint Programs
	Libraries with code for graphics
	FTP Sites
	WWW sites

Ray-tracers:
------------

RayShade - a fast ray tracer for workstations on up, also for PC, Mac & Amiga,
	has Linda parallel language support and distributed network support
	programs; however, the package has not evolved much lately and the
	author (Craig Kolb) has been too busy to fold in bug fixes and have
	one official version, so things are a bit scattered at this point.
POV-Ray - Persistence of Vision ray tracer, now at version 2.2.  Offspring and
	successor to DKB Trace, written by Compuservers.  Probably the best
	free ray tracer on the IBM PC, partly because of the many programs which
	support it (e.g. Moray, POVCAD, L-Parser, CTDS, etc etc etc).
	There is also FTPOV-Ray, which is a faster (unofficial) POV at
	informatik.
Polyray - a shareware IBM PC ray tracer, object code only, but very popular
	among users; has nice features for animation generation.  Its
	programmer, Alexander Enzmann, also works on PoV-Ray, so features in
	it tending to migrate to PoV.
Radiance - see "Radiosity", below.  A physically based ray tracer, heavily
	emphasizes realistic lighting and shading models.  Excellent package,
	well supported and works on many platforms.
ART - ray tracer with a good range of surface types, some interesting solid
	texture functions; part of VORT package.
RTrace - Ray tracer by Antonio Costa, does bicubic patches, CSG, 3D text, etc.
	IBM PC and Mac versions also exist.  Imports many different model
	formats.  Also attaches to Bernard Kwok's radiosity package.
VIVID2 - A shareware raytracer for PCs - binary only (286/287).  Author:
	Stephen Coy ([email-masked]). The 386/387 (no source) version
	is available to registered users (US$50) direct from the author.
	"Bob" is a subset of this ray tracer, source available only through
	disks in "Photorealism and Raytracing in C" by Christopher Watkins
	et al, M&T Books.
Microcosm - Nice commercial rendering system using scripting language, from
	vector representations to ray tracing.  Demo available on net.
BRL-CAD - A ray-tracer, CAD package, and much more from the Ballistics Research
	Laboratories.  Evidently has a fair-sized, dedicated user base.  Free,
	but you must register it before use.
RAY4 - Steve Hollasch's 4-dimensional ray tracer - renders hyperspheres,
	hypertetrahedra, hyperplanes, and hyperparallelepipeds (there's
	a separate real-time wireframe viewer written in GL called WIRE4 ) .
DKBtrace - an older ray tracer, superceded by PoV-Ray.
MTV,QRT,DBW - yet more ray tracers, some with interesting features, but old.
	There are a lot more than these, but these are the ones which are
	"free" and have some user base.

Which one's the best?  Here's a ray tracer feature comparison of some of the
more popular ones.  I assume some basics, like each can run on a Unix
workstation, can render a polygon, has point lights, highlighting, reflection
& refraction, etc.

A "." means "no".  Things in parentheses mean "no, but there's a workaround".
For example, POV 1.0 has no efficiency scheme so takes forever on scenes with
lots of objects, but there are programs which can generate efficiency
structures for some POV objects (also, in this case, POV 2.0 will fix this
deficiency).

                       Rayshade  POV 1.0  RTrace  Radiance     Bob       ART
#IBM PC version?            Y        Y       Y       Soon        Y         Y
Amiga version?             Y        Y       .         Y         .        (Y)
Mac version?               Y        Y       Y       A/UX        .         Y

Sphere/Cylinder/Cone       Y        Y       Y         Y         Y         Y
Torus primitive            Y        Y       Y         .         .         Y
Spline surface prim.       .        Y       Y         .         .         Y
Arbitrary Algebraic prim.  .        Y       .         .         .         Y
Heightfield primitive      Y        Y       .         .         .         Y
Metaball primitive         Y        Y       .         .         .         Y
Modeling matrices          Y        Y       Y         .         .         Y
Constructive Solid Geo.    Y        Y       Y   (antimatter) (clipping)   Y
Efficiency scheme?       grids  (user/2.0) ABVH    octtree     ABVH    kdtree+

2D texture mapping         Y        Y       Y         Y         Y         Y
3D solid textures          Y      strong    Y         Y         Y         Y
Advanced local shading     .        Y       Y       Much!       .         .
Atmospheric effects        Y        Y       .         .         Y         Y
Radiosity effects          .        .       Y         Y         .         .
Soft shadows               Y      (2.0)     Y         Y         Y         Y
Motion blur                Y        .       .         .         .         .
Depth of field effects     Y        .       Y         .         Y         .
Stereo pair support        Y        .       Y         .         .         .
Advanced filter/sample	   Y        .       Y         Y         Y         .
Animation support          Y      (S/W)     Y      (some)       .         Y
Alpha channel output       Y        .       Y         .         .         Y

Modeler                 lib/P3D   IBM+  (convert)  on Mac    w/code      P3D
Model converters from     NFF     Many!   Many!     some        .      NFF,OFF
Network rendering       Inetray     .       .      in 2.2       .     dart,nart
User support           maillist maillist  good     digest+   little     good
Other S/W support        some     Much!   a bit     some      a bit     some

Timings - default size SPD databases (i.e. up to 10,000 objects in a scene),
time in seconds on HP 720 workstation, optimized and gprof profiled code.
Includes time to read in the ASCII data file and set up.  Note that profiling
slows down the execution times, so real times would be somewhat faster in all
cases (about 30%); plus, the profiler itself is good to +-10%.  Also, these
timings are purely for this machine - results will vary considerably depending
on the platform.  Now that I've explained why these are useless, here goes:

                balls   gears   mount   rings   teapot  tetra   tree

Art/Vort         478    1315     239     595      235     84     381
Art/Vort +float  415    1129     206     501      203     72     327
Rayshade w/tweak 188     360     174     364      145     61     163
Rayshade w/grid 1107     412     174     382      145     61    1915
Radiance         289     248     165     601      150     42     197
Bob              402     747     230     831      245     50     266
RTrace           664    1481     813    1343      341    153     372
RTrace c6 m0     652    1428     811    1301      331    155     363
POV 2.0beta+     588    1895     668    1113      306     56     542
POV 1.0        191000 1775000  409000  260000    45000  31000  250000

The gears and mount tests are probably worth ignoring because everyone handles
shadows for transparent objects differently.  Some consider them opaque to
shadows, others handle it differently.

Here are timing ratios (i.e. 1 is the fastest time for a given test, with
the other timings normalized to this value):

                balls   gears   mount   rings   teapot  tetra   tree

Art/Vort         2.54    5.30    1.45    1.63    1.62    2.00    2.34
Art/Vort +float  2.21    4.55    1.25    1.38    1.40    1.71    2.01
Rayshade w/tweak  1      1.45    1.05     1       1      1.45     1
Rayshade w/grid  5.89    1.66    1.05    1.05     1      1.45   11.75
Radiance         1.54     1       1      1.65    1.03     1      1.21
Bob              2.14    3.01    1.39    2.28    1.69    1.19    1.63
RTrace           3.53    5.97    4.93    3.69    2.35    3.64    2.28
RTrace c6 m0     3.47    5.76    4.92    3.57    2.28    3.69    2.23
POV 2.0beta+     3.13    7.64    4.05    3.06    2.11    1.33    3.33
POV 1.0       1015.96 7157.26 2478.79  714.29  310.34  738.10 1533.74

Art/Vort was compiled with and without a "+f" compiler option; with it on
floating point numbers are not promoted to doubles during expression
evaluation (and so things runs noticeably faster).  Other packages may benefit
from such compiler options.

Rayshade had some minor user intervention.  The ceiling of the cube root of
the number of objects in the scene was used as the efficiency grid resolution.
For example, balls has 7382 objects:  cube root is 19.47, ceiling is then 20,
so a 20 x 20 x 20 grid was used.  Rayshade needs hand tweaking of the grid
structures for extra efficiency (esp. with balls and tree), though this is
fairly simple for the SPD tests (i.e. leave the background polygon out of the
grid structure).  Tweaking in these cases means leaving ground plane polygon
(if it exists) out of the grid structure.

Radiance is quite different in its approach, as it is more physically based.
Efficiency structures are built in a separate program (so the time spent doing
this is not included in the above stats).  Also, Radiance outputs in a
floating point format (which can be quite handy).

RTrace is often a bit faster when the "c6 m0" options are used.

POV 2.0 has an efficiency scheme built in and so is comparable to the others,
so don't get freaked out by the POV 1.0 performance numbers.

Distributed/Parallel Raytracers:
--------------------------------

XDART - A distributed ray-tracer that runs under X11. There are server binaries
	which work only on DECstations, SPARCs, HP Snakes (7x0 series) and NeXT.
	The clients are distributed as binaries and C source.
Inetray - A network version of Rayshade 4.0.  Needs Sun RPC 4.0 or newer.
	Contact Andreas Thurnherr ([email-masked])
RRLib - Another distributed version of Rayshade.
	Contact: Wilfried Koch <[email-masked]>
prt, VM_pRAY - parallel ray tracers.

Renderers which are not raytracers, and graphics libraries:
-----------------------------------------------------------

SIPP - Scan line z-buffer and Phong shading renderer.
	Now uses the shadow buffer algorithm.
Tcl-SIPP - a Tcl command interface to the SIPP rendering
	program. Tcl-SIPP is a set of Tcl commands used to programmed
	SIPP without having to write and compile C code.
	Commands are used to specify surfaces, objects,
	scenes and rendering options.
	It renders either in PPM format or in Utah Raster Toolkit RLE format
	or to the photo widget in the Tk-based X11 applications.
VOGLE - graphics learning environment (device portable).
VOGL - an SGI GL-like library based on VOGLE.
REND386 - A *fast* polygon renderer for IBM PC 386s and up. Version 2 on up.
	[ It's not photorealistic, but rather a real-time renderer]
RENDERLIB - 3D DLL for IBM PC Windows 3.0, RLIBDEMO.ZIP.
XSHARP21 - Dr. Dobb's Journal PC renderer source code, with budget texture
	mapping.
CRITERION - Canon / Criterion Renderware package - real time graphics
	API and toolkit for various platforms.

Modellers, wireframe viewers:
-----------------------------

Moray, POVCAD - modelers for the PC for POV.
BLOB - Fun blobby modeler for PC (output to POV, DXF, etc)
VISION-3D - Mac modeler, can output Radiance & Rayshade files.
IRIT - A CSG solid modeler, with support for freeform surfaces.
BRL-CAD - A CAD modeler, comes with ray tracer, image support, etc etc.
P3D - See volume rendering section.
X3D - A wireframe viewer for X11.
3DV - 3-D wireframe graphics toolkit, with C source, 3dv objects, other stuff
	Look at major PC archives like wuarchive. One such file is 3DKIT1.ZIP
	(at romulus.ulowell.edu)
PV3D - a shareware front end modeler for POVRAY 2.x and Vivid 2.x
	(latest version: 2.10). French docs for now, price for
	registering 250 French Francs. Save disabled.
	Some extra utilities for the registered version.
	Contact: [email-masked] (Lecointe Ludovic)
Xmgf - A Motif based Object viewer ( public domain, with source )
	Xmgf can read other CAD or object file formats via filters. Current
	formats include NFF/OBJ/OFF/RAY/SLA/DXF/MINICAD/IGRIP. These filters
	do not cover all the features avaliable but they are a start.
	Xmgf Auto-scales images,can have the viewing parameters stored in a file
	produce Xfig and Postscript and MIF output as well as RAYSHADE data
	files and PGM, PBM and XBM SunRaster and GIF image outputs.
	Contact: Paul Hoad <[email-masked]>
Multiverse - X11R4 & Berkeley sockets animator and more.
AERO - actually, it's a rigid-body visualizer and animator.
+Xvirtual - a Linux/X11 program (Xview). Wireframe, solid shading
+	(in real time), plus (optional) shadows (not so real time).
+	Marcus Roth <[email-masked]>

Radiosity renderers:
--------------------

Radiance - a ray tracer w/radiosity effects, by Greg Ward.  Excellent shading
	models and physically based lighting simulation.  Unix/X based, though
#	has been ported to the Amiga and is going ported to the PC (386).
RAD - a simple public-domain radiosity package in C. The solution can be run
	stand-alone on any Unix box, but the walk-through requires a SGI 4D.
	Author: Bernard Kwok <[email-masked]>
INDIA - An Indian radiosity package based on Radiance.
SGI_RAD - An interactive radiosity package that runs on SGI machines with a
	Spaceball. It includes a house database.
	Author: Guy Moreillon <[email-masked]>
NeXTrad - yet another (minimal) radiosity package, for the NeXT computers
	(requires NeXTSTEP 3.0+)

Volume renderers:
-----------------

P3D - Outputs to Rayshade, DXF, RenderMan, Art, and others.
VREND - Cornell's Volume Renderer, from Kartch/Devine/Caffey/Warren (FORTRAN).
Bob - Brick of Bytes, for SGI machines from UMN

Geometric viewers:
------------------

SALEM - A GL-based package from Dobkin et al. for exploring mathematical
	structures.
GEOMVIEW - A GL-based package for looking and interactively manipulating
	3D objects, from Geometry Center at Minnesota.
	(There are SGI and NeXT versions at least)
XYZ GeoBench -(eXperimental geometrY Zurich) is a workbench for geometric
	computation for Macintosh computers.
WIRE4 - GL wireframe previewer for Steve Hollasch's RAY4 (see above)

Data Formats and Data Sets for Ray Tracing:
-------------------------------------------

SPD - a set of procedural databases for testing ray tracers.
NFF - simplistic file format used by SPD.
OFF - another file format.
P3D - a lispy file format.
TDDD - Imagine (3D modeler) format, has converters for RayShade, NFF, OFF, etc.
	Also includes a nice postscript object displayer.  Some GREAT models.
T3DLIB - converts to/from TDDD/TTDDD, OFF, NFF, Rayshade 4.0, Imagine,
	and vort 3d objects. Also outputs Framemaker MIF files and isometric
	views in Postscript. Registered users get a TeX PK font converter and
	a superquadric surfaces generator.
	Glenn Lewis <[email-masked]>
MSDL - Manchester Scene Description Language. The distribution consists of
	the definition for a 3D scene description language, and a parser to
	help users write applications to read scenes. The user compiles the
	parser, and links it to his or her application. Included with the
	distribution are utilities to help convert OFF file into MSDL objects.
	Some samples scenes are also available.
	Contact: [email-masked]
	World Wide Web pages at http://info.mcc.ac.uk/CGU/MSDL/MSDL-intro.html
+MGF - Materials and Geometry Format, a least common denominator language for
+	describing scenes and objects suitable for physically-based rendering
+	applications (among other things).
+	World Wide Web pages at ftp://hobbes.lbl.gov/www/mgf/HOME.html

Volume Rendering Data:
----------------------

CHVRTD - Chapel Hill Volume Rendering Test Datasets, includes volume sets for
	two heads, a brain, a knee, electron density maps for RNA and others.
AVS - Volume Visualization datasets.

Written Material on Rendering:
------------------------------

RT News - collections of articles on ray tracing.
RT abstracts - collection by Tom Wilson of abstracts of many RT articles.
RT bib - references to articles on ray tracing in "refer" format.
Rad bib - references to articles on radiosity (global illumination).
+	(maintained by Ian Ashdown)
Speer RT bib - Rick Speer's cross-referenced RT bib, in postscript.
Paper bank project - various technical papers in electronic form.  Contact
	Juhana Kouhia <[email-masked]>
Online Bibliography Project :
	The ACM SIGGRAPH Online Bibliography Project is a database of
	over 15,000 unique computer graphics and computational geometry
	references in BibTeX format, available to the computer graphics
	community as a research and educational resource.

	The database is located at "siggraph.org".  Users may download
	the BibTeX files via FTP and peruse them offline, or telnet to
	"siggraph.org" and log in as "biblio" and interactively search
	the database for entries of interest, by keyword.
	For the people without Internet access, there's also an e-mail
	server. Send mail to

		[email-masked]

	and in the subject or the body of the message include the message  send
	followed by the topic and subtopic you wish. A good place to start is
	with the command
		send index
	which will give you an up-to-date list of available information.

	Questions should be directed to the admin,
		"[email-masked]".

Image Manipulation Libraries:
-----------------------------

Utah Raster Toolkit - nice image manipulation tools.
PBMPLUS - a great package for image conversion and manipulation.
LIBTIFF - library for reading/writing TIFF images.
ImageMagick - X11 package for display and interactive manipulation
	of images. Includes tools for image conversion, annotation,
	compositing, animation, and creating montages.
	Uses its own format (MIFF), and includes some converters.
xv - X-based image display, manipulation, and format converter.
xloadimage, xli - displays various formats on an X11 screen.
Khoros - a huge, excellent system for image processing, with a visual
	programming interface and much much more.  Uses X windows.
FBM - another set of image manipulation tools, somewhat old now.
Img - image manipulation, displays on X11 screen, a bit old now.
SDSC - SDSC Image Tools package (San Diego Supercomputing Center)
	for image manipulation and conversion

Animation Players
-----------------

xflick - Plays .FLI animation under X11
XAnim - plays any resolution FLI along with GIF's(including GIF89a animation
	extensions), AVI, Quicktime, DL's and Amiga IFF animations(3,5,J,l)
	and IFF pictures(including HAM,EHB, and color cycling). Runs under
	Unix / VMS and has many new animation types added everyday.
PVRG-MPEG - Portable Video Research Group at Stanford' MPEG sequence
	compression and decompression engines (codecs) for MPEG, CCITT H.261,
	and JPEG. The primary goal of these codecs is to provide the
	functionality, not speed.
UCB-MPEG - MPEG decoder/viewer of the Berkeley Plateau Research group (with
	X11 support)

Paint Programs
--------------
CLRpaint - A 24-bit paint program for SGI 24bit workstations and 8bit Indigos.
BIT - Another 24-bit paint program for SGI machines.
	[ Described under Subject 15 : Image annotation software ]
Xpaint - paint program for X11 systems.
	[ Described under Subject 15 : Image annotation software ]

Libraries with code for graphics:
---------------------------------

Graphics Gems I,II,III,IV - code from the ever so useful books.
spline-patch.tar.Z - spline patch ray intersection routines by Sean Graves
kaleido - Computation and 3D Display of Uniform Polyhedra. Mirrored in
	wuarchive. This package computes (and displays) the metrical
	properties of 75 polyhedra. Author: Dr. Zvi Har'El,
	e-mail: [email-masked]
qhull - Source code in C for general dimension convex hull and Delaunay
	triangulation. You can view the results in 3-d and 4-d with geomview.
	Contact: Brad Barber ([email-masked])
Nurbs - University of Manchester NURBS library.
	This C library provides NURBS creation, elevation, interpolation,
	extrusion and revolution functions, as well as a simple function
	to post the representation into an implementation of PHIGS PLUS.
	Available for both UNIX & VAX/OpenVMS.
	Contact: [email-masked]
	WorldWideWeb pages at
	http://info.mcc.ac.uk/CGU/NURBS/nurbs_library.html
Morphology - Mathematical morphology package. Morphological operators are
	shape-dependent, nonlinear image transforms such as erosion, dilation,
	opening, closing, and rank filters. The software includes a 2D image
	morphology program, a 3D voxel image morphology program, a program for
	enhancement and noise reduction of 2D images, and related support
	routines for image arithmetic and logical operations.

FTP Sites
---------

(*) means site is an "official" distributor, so is most up to date.

NORTH AMERICA (please look for things on your own continent first...):
-------------

wuarchive.wustl.edu [128.252.135.4]:  This one has almost everything, but is
	also very busy - try during off-hours.
	/graphics/graphics - get CONTENTS file for a roadmap.  Within this
	directory are a wide range of resources, including:

	bib - various ray tracing, radiosity, and general bibliographies.  
	books - code from books and errata listings for various texts.
	echidna - Univ. of Melbourne programs: vogl/e, vopl, vort.
	hershey-fonts - public domain stroke fonts.
	objects - various object databases (TDDD, SPD, OFF, polyhedra, nurbs).
	packages - image manipulation, CAD, and other graphics packages.
	papers - various graphics papers.
	radiosity - includes Radiance.
	ray - many ray tracers, RTNews, Wilson's RT abstract collection, etc.
	non-3d - 4d & hyperbolic space visualization.
	virtual-worlds - VR related material.

	The mirrors directory is huge, including many major sites, including
	the official POV archive, the Oldenburg POV site, the Geometry Center,
	NCSA, SGI, Virtual Worlds archive, Avalon object descriptions, Virtual
	Reality archive, and more.

	There is also various platform dependent graphics software, e.g.
	/msdos/ddjmag/ddj9209.zip - version 21 of Xsharp, with fast texture
		mapping.
	/pub/aminet/gfx/3d - T3DLIB package.
	/pub/aminet/gfx/3dobj - TDDD objects.
	/pub/aminet/pix/trace - various raytraced images.
	/pub/aminet/pix/wb - workbench wallpaper (IFF) images, textures.
	admin: George Kyriazis <[email-masked]>

princeton.edu [128.112.128.1]:  home of lots of ray tracing related software
	/pub/Graphics (note capital "G") - *Rayshade 4.0.6 ray tracer (and
		separate 387 executable)*, *color quantization code*, *SPD*,
		*RT News*, *Wilson's RT abstracts*, "RT bib*, *Utah Raster
		Toolkit*, newer FBM, *Graphics Gems I through IV code*,
		*RRLib*.
	/pub/graphics directory - *SALEM* and other stuff.
	/pub/trees/drinkwater - tree images from Drinkwater's growing program.
	admin: Craig Kolb <[email-masked]>
	[upload to ftp.cs.princeton.edu:/incoming]

avalon.chinalake.navy.mil [129.131.44.11]:  pub - 3D objects (multiple formats),
	utilities, file format documents.  obj/Viewpoint and New are
	particularly good quality.  utils/misc - PV3D.  misc/texture - textures.
	This site was created to be a 3D object "repository" for the net.
	It's mirrored from ftp.kpc.com and wuarchive.wustl.edu .
	Francisco X DeJesus <[email-masked]>

alfred.ccs.carleton.ca [134.117.1.1]: /pub/pov-ray/POV-Ray2.2 - *POVRay
	Compuserve group ray tracer (or POV)* and models.  /pub/dkbtrace -
	*DKB ray tracer* (now ancient history).
	David Buck <[email-masked]>

#harbor.ecn.purdue.edu [128.46.154.76] : pub/tcl/extensions/tsipp-?.??.tar.Z -
	*Tcl-SIPP*
#	Mark Diekhans <[email-masked]>
+ [ also at ftp.neosoft.com [198.64.6.7] :/pub/tcl/distrib/tsipp?.??.tar.gz ]

moose.cs.indiana.edu [129.79.254.191]:  /pub/RW5 - test databases for radiosity
	and other serious illumination simulation algorithms.
	Peter Shirley <[email-masked]>

ftp.mv.com [192.80.84.1]: pub/ddj - Official Dr. Dobbs Journal FTP repository.
	*XSHARP* and other interesting algorithms.

hobbes.lbl.gov [128.3.12.38]: pub - *Radiance* ray trace/radiosity package,
	pictures, ports, etc.
+	/pub/doc - *Rad bib*, /www/mgf - *MGF*
	Greg Ward <[email-masked]>

ftp.arc.umn.edu [137.66.130.11] : pub/gvl.tar.Z - the latest version of *Bob*,
	Icol and Raz.  Source, a manual, man pages, and binaries for
	IRIX 4.0.5 are included (Bob is a real time volume renderer)
	pub/  contains also many volume datasets.
	Ken Chin-Purcell <[email-masked]>

geom.umn.edu [128.101.25.31] : pub/software/geomview - *GEOMVIEW* and other
	Geometry Center visualization packages.
	Contact: [email-masked]
	pub/qhull.tar.Z  (Mac version : qhull.sit.hqx) - *qhull*

ftp.kpc.com [144.52.120.9] : /pub/graphics/holl91 - Steve Hollasch's
	Thesis, /pub/graphics/ray4 - *RAY4*, /pub/graphics/wire4 - *WIRE4*.
	/pub/mirror/avalon - mirror of avalon's 3D objects repository.
	Steve Hollasch <[email-masked]>

swedishchef.lerc.nasa.gov [139.88.54.33] : programs/hollasch-4d - RAY4,
	SGI Explorer modules and Postscript manual, etc.

jazz.gsfc.nasa.gov [128.183.88.159]:
	dist/bathymetry - *global sea depth/topography grid+goodies*,
	dist/triangulation - voronoi/delauney triangulation in 2D,
	dist/fastfouriertransform - standard fft routine, mixed radix
	dist/f77hiccups - a collection of nasty f77 sources
	E. Schrama ([email-masked])

cs.usask.ca [128.233.130.10] :  pub/geometry/geombib.tar.Z - Computational
	Geometry bibliography (very extensive, 5539 entries to date).
	Bill Jones <[email-masked]>

zamenhof.cs.rice.edu [128.42.1.75] : pub/graphics.formats - Various electronic
	documents about many object and image formats.  pub/morphine -
	morphing package.
	Mark Hall <[email-masked]>
	will apparently no longer be maintaining it, see ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.

rascal.ics.utexas.edu [128.83.144.1]:  /misc/mac/inqueue - VISION-3D facet
	based modeller, can output RayShade and Radiance files.

ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu [141.142.20.50] :  misc/file.formats/graphics.formats -
	contains various image- and object-format descriptions.  Many SciVi
	tools in various directories, e.g.  SGI/Alpha-shape/Alvis-1.0.tar.Z -
	3D alpha-shape visualizer (SGI machines only),
	SGI/Polyview3.0/polyview.Z - interactive visualization and analysis of
	3D geometrical structures, outputs in Rayshade and RIB formats.
	/outgoing/marca/natural-textures - various textures (temporary).
	Quincey Koziol <[email-masked]>

tucana.noao.edu [140.252.1.1] : /iraf - the IRAF astronomy package

ftp.ipl.rpi.edu [128.113.14.50]:  pub/image - various 24 and 8 bit image
	stills and sequences.  Kevin Martin <[email-masked]>

ftp.psc.edu [128.182.66.148]:  pub/p3d - p3d_2_0.tar P3D lispy scene
	language & renderers.  Joel Welling <[email-masked]>

ftp.ee.lbl.gov [128.3.254.68]: *pbmplus.tar.Z*, pub/ray - RayShade data files.
	Jef Poskanzer <[email-masked]>

george.lbl.gov [128.3.196.93]: pub/ccs-lib/ccs.tar.Z - *CCS* (Complex
	Conversion System), an image conversion & manipulation package.
	pub/scry.tar.Z - Scry, a SciVi utility

havefun.stanford.edu [36.2.0.35] : pub/mpeg/MPEGv?.?.tar.Z - *PVRG-MPEG*

sepftp.stanford.edu [36.51.0.59] : pub/Vplot - the Vplot graphics system,
	pub/World_Map - The CIA World Map II vector outline database,
	[ It's the new name for hanauma.stanford.edu ]

ftp.uu.net [192.48.96.2]:  /graphics - *IRIT*, old RT News back issues (not
	complete), NURBS models, other graphics related material,
	graphics/3D/tsipp.3.0b.tar.Z - Tcl-SIPP (SIPP with Tcl interface),
	/graphics/jpeg/jpegsrc.v?.tar.Z - Independent JPEG Group package for
	reading and writing JPEG files.

knob2.engin.umich.edu [141.212.102.27] :  *Utah Raster Toolkit*
	Spencer Thomas <[email-masked]>

ftp.x.org [198.112.44.100] : /contrib - pbmplus, Image Magick, xloadimage, xli,
	xv, Img, *Xmgf*, *XAnim*,  lots more X-related programs.
	/pub/R5untarred/mit/demos/gpc - NCGA
	Graphics Performance Characterization (GPC) Suite.

cs.utah.edu [128.110.4.21]: /pub - Utah raster toolkit,  *NURBS databases*.
	Jamie Painter <[email-masked]>

artemis.arc.nasa.gov [128.102.115.149]: /sig-wtk/models - variety of DXF and
	NFF models.

gatekeeper.dec.com [16.1.0.2]:  /pub/DEC/off.tar.Z - *OFF models*,
	pub/graphics - jpeg, Khoros, pbmplus, Rayshade, Utah RLE, libtiff.
	data/cia-wdb - CIA world database

ftp.khoros.unm.edu [198.59.155.28]:  /pub/khoros - *Khoros image processing
	package (huge, but great)*.
	Danielle Argiro <[email-masked]>

dpls.dacc.wisc.edu [144.92.188.90] :  /graphics/x3d/x3d.2.2.tar.Z - *X3D*,
	/graphics/xdart/xdart.1.1.* - *XDART*,
	/graphics/mcm - *Microcosm* - demo of nice rendering and ray tracing
	system using an interpreted scripting language.
	/graphics/utilities - ImageMagick 2.3
	Cosmic Software <[email-masked]>
	Mark Spychalla <[email-masked]>

sgi.com [192.48.153.1]:  /graphics/tiff - TIFF 6.0 spec & *LIBTIFF* software
	and pics.  Also much SGI- and GL-related stuff (e.g. OpenGL manuals)
	Sam Leffler <[email-masked]>
	[supercedes okeeffe.berkeley.edu for the LIBTIFF stuff]

ftp.sdsc.edu [132.249.20.22]: /sdscpub - *SDSC*

ftp.brl.mil [128.63.16.158]: /brl-cad - information on how to get the
	BRL CAD package & ray tracer.
	/pub/textures - a texture library has also begun here; not much here.
	Lee A. Butler <[email-masked]>

ftp.cdrom.com [192.216.222.5] :  an aminet (Amiga network) site, among many
	others.
	/pub/aminet/gfx/3d - T3DLIB package.
	/pub/aminet/gfx/3dobj - TDDD objects.
	/pub/aminet/pix/trace - various raytraced images.
	/pub/aminet/pix/wb - workbench wallpaper (IFF) images, textures.

cicero.cs.umass.edu [128.119.40.189]:  /texture_temp - 512x512 grayscale
	Brodatz textures,
	from Julien Flack <[email-masked]>.

karazm.math.uh.edu [129.7.7.6]:  pub/Graphics:
	rtabs.shar.12.90.Z - *Wilson's RT abstracts*,
	speer.raytrace.bib.ps.Z - Speer RT bibliography.
	J. Eric Townsend <[email-masked]>

ftp.pitt.edu [130.49.253.1]:  /users/q/r/qralston/images - 24 bit image archive
	(small).  James Ralston Crawford <[email-masked]>

ftp.tc.cornell.edu [128.84.201.1]: /pub/vis - *VREND*
 	/pub/vis/Data.Explorer - IBM Data Explorer repository

sunee.uwaterloo.ca [129.97.50.50]: /pub/rend386 -  *REND386*

cica.cica.indiana.edu: The MS Windows archive.  Among other things,
	RLIBDEMO.ZIP - RENDERLIB 3D graphics DLL, desktop/gcad110.zip -
	GammaCAD 1.10, programr/3dlib30a.zip - C++ & Pascal 3D graphic
	animation

archive.umich.edu [141.211.164.153]: /msdos/graphics - PC graphics stuff.
	/msdos/graphics/raytrace - VIVID2.

netlib.att.com [192.20.225.2]: netlib/polyhedra - *polyhedra databases*.
	(If you don't have FTP, use the netlib automatic mail replier:
	[email-masked].  Send one line message "send index" for info.

siggraph.org [128.248.245.250]: SIGGRAPH archive site.
	publications/bibliography - extremely extensive computer graphics
	bibliography.  Automatic mailer is [email-masked]
	("send index").
	Conference proceedings in various electronic formats (papers, panels),
	SIGGRAPH Video Review information and order forms.

ftp.cs.unc.edu [128.109.136.159]: pub/reaction_diffusion - Greg Turk's work on
	reaction-diffusion textures, X windows code (SIGGRAPH '91), pub -
	L-system code.
	pub/softlab/CHVRTD - Chapel Hill Volume Rendering Test Datasets.
	[ It's the same as omicron.cs.unc.edu ]

avs.ncsc.org [128.109.178.23]:  sample_data/VolVis92 - Volume datasets
	from the Boston Workshop on Volume Visualization '92.  This site is
	also the International AVS Center.
	Terry Myerson <[email-masked]>

uvacs.cs.virginia.edu [128.143.8.100]:  pub/suit/demo/{sparc,dec,etc} - SUIT
	(Simple User Interface Toolkit).  "finger [email-masked]"
	to get detailed instructions.

nexus.yorku.ca [130.63.9.66]: /pub/reports/Radiosity_code.tar.Z - *RAD*
	/pub/reports/Radiosity_thesis.ps.Z - *RAD MSc. Thesis*
	[This site may change to ftp.yorku.ca in the future]

earthsea.stanford.edu [36.60.0.64] : ftp/pub/lego/cad/click and
	.../cad/rayshade - LEGO modeling tools and definitions for Rayshade.

archive.cis.ohio-state.edu [128.146.8.52]: pub/siggraph92 - Code for
	Siggraph '92 Course 23 (Procedural Modeling and Rendering Techniques)

lyapunov.ucsd.edu [132.239.86.10]: This machine is considered the
	repository for preprints and programs for nonlinear dynamics,
	signal processing, and related subjects  (and fractals, of course!)
	Matt Kennel <[email-masked]>

belvoir-arl-irisgt.army.mil [140.183.6.108] : pub/viewtree/images - various
	generated tree images (quite nice!), runnable demo for SGI's.
	Jason Weber <[email-masked]>

ics.uci.edu [128.195.1.1]: /honig --- Various stereo-pair images
	movie.c - animates a movie on an X display (8-bit and mono) with
	digital subtraction.

ftp-os2.nmsu.edu [128.123.35.151] :  os2/2_x/graphics/rt.zip - CSG (?) ray
	tracer for PC with source, uses the GBM module for file I/O (found
	in same directory as gbmsrc.zip).
	Andy Key <[email-masked]>

taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil [131.120.1.13]: pub/dabro/cyberware_demo.tar.Z - Human
	head data

pioneer.unm.edu [129.24.9.217]:  pub/texture_maps - Hans du Buf's grayscale
	test textures (aerial swatches, Brodatz textures, synthetic swatches).
	Space & planetary image repository.  Provides access to >150 CD-ROMS
	with data/images (3 on-line at a time).
	/beginner-info - here you should start browsing.
	[not sure about this site, no answer the last time I tried it]
	Colby Kraybill <[email-masked]>.

cs.brown.edu [128.148.33.66] : *SRGP/SPHIGS* . For more info on SRGP/SPHIGS:
	mail -s 'software-distribution' [email-masked]

pdb.pdb.bnl.gov [130.199.144.1] has data about various organic molecules,
	bonds between the different atoms, etc.
	Atomic coordinates (and a load of other stuff) are contained in the
	"*.ent" files, but the actual atomic dimensions seem to be missing.
	You could convert these data to PoV, rayshade, etc.

biome.bio.ns.ca [142.2.20.2] : /pub/art - some Renoir paintings,
	Escher's pictures, etc.

ftp.ee.umanitoba.ca [130.179.8.95] : /specmark - sample set of images from the
	`Images from the Edge' CD-ROM (images of atomic landscapes, advanced
	semiconductors, superconductors and experimental surface
	chemistry among others). Contact [email-masked]

acs.cps.msu.edu [35.9.24.92]:  pub/sass - Rayshade tools: X windows font
	converter and animation tool.  Ron Sass <[email-masked]>

dgp.toronto.edu [128.100.1.129] : pub/sgi/clrpaint - *CLRpaint*
	pub/sgi/clrview.* - CLRview, a tool that aids in visualization
	of GIS datasets in many formats like DXF, DEM, Arc/Info, etc.
	pub/lansd/lansd.ps.Z - Rob Lansdale's ([email-masked])
	200 page master's thesis, which covers all aspects of texture mapping,
	from the very basics, through conceptual tutorials on filtering, on
	through to advanced state-of-the-art texture filtering algorithms
	(EWA and NIL)
#	pub/dret/PhD - George Drettakis' PhD thesis
#	on radiosity & global illumination, w/tiff files.
#	Also at ftp.csri.toronto.edu [128.100.2.18]: csri-technical-reports/293
#	George Drettakis <[email-masked]>
+	[ From a mistake, I had replicated parts of dgp's entry ]

explorer.arc.nasa.gov [128.102.32.18]: pub/SPACE/CDROM - images from Magellan
	and Viking missions etc. Get pub/SPACE/Index first.
	pub/SPACELINK has most of the SpaceLink service data (see below)
	e-mail server available: send mail to [email-masked]
	(or ames!archive-server) with subject:"help"
	or "send SPACE Index" (without the quotes!)
	Peter Yee <[email-masked]>

pubinfo.jpl.nasa.gov [128.149.6.2]: images, other data, etc. from JPL
	missions. Modem access at (818)-354-1333 (no parity, 8 data bits, 1
	stop bit).
	[email-masked] or phone (818)-354-7170

spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov [128.158.13.250] (passwd:guest) : space graphics
	and GIF images from NASA's planetary probes and the Hubble Telescope.
	Main function is support for teachers (you can telnet also to this
	site). Dial up access: (205)-895-0028 (300/1200/2400/9600(V.32) baud,
	8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit).

stsci.edu [130.167.1.2] : Hubble Space Telescope stuff (images and other
	data). Read the README first!
	Pete Reppert <[email-masked]> or Chris O'Dea <[email-masked]>

ftp.u.washington.edu [140.142.56.2] :
	public/virtual-worlds - *multiverse* client-server VR system
	public/virtual-worlds/veos - VEOS Virtual Reality and distributed
	applications prototyping environment for Unix.
	Veos Software Support : [email-masked]
	oldpublic/fly - FLY! 3D Visualization Software demo.
	That package is built for "fly-throughs" from various datasets in
	near real-time. There are binaries for many platforms.
	Much stuff on Virtual Reality, including many product review files
	and other resources.

zug.csmil.umich.edu [141.211.184.2]: X-Xpecs 3D files (an LCD glass shutter
	for Amiga computers - great for VR stuff!)

sunsite.unc.edu [152.2.22.81]: /pub/academic/computer-science/virtual-reality -
	Final copy of the sugrfx.acs.syr.edu archive that ceased to exist.
	It contains Powerglove code, VR papers, 3D images and IRC research
	material.
	Jonathan Magid <[email-masked]>

ftp.apple.com [130.43.2.3] :  pub/VR/graphics.systems - Gossamer 2.0, real
	time rendering for the Mac.
	Jon Blossom <[email-masked]>

spectrum.xerox.com [192.70.225.78] : pub/map/dem - USGS DEM data, plus lots of
	other map data related archives.

charon.er.usgs.gov [128.128.40.24] : /pub/PROJ.4.1.3.tar.Z - library of map
	projections

iris.ssec.wisc.edu [144.92.108.63]:  pub/vis5d - 5D visualizer (for weather
	data, things like that).

vacation.venari.cs.cmu.edu [128.2.209.207]:  zbuf.tar - Rayshade z-depth output
	patch.

cs.ubc.ca [137.82.8.5]  : /ftp/pickup/spline - example images and data files
	for a Dragon head and body, a human knee, and a human finger produced
	with a local Hierarchical B-Spline modeler.
	/pub/local/vista - Vista computer vision software

math.uh.edu [129.7.128.1] :
	/pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews/software/graphics/raist -
	images done using Real3D.  pub/Amiga/comp.sys.amiga.reviews -
	reviews of Amiga products (including renderers, etc).
	Dan Barrett <[email-masked]>

herx1.colorado.edu:  /pub/irt/irt52.zip - optics ray tracing program (said to
	be buggy, though).

toe.cs.berkeley.edu [128.32.149.117]:  pub/multimedia/mpeg/mpeg-?.0.tar.Z -
	*UCB-MPEG*

ftp.cs.cmu.edu [128.2.206.173] :
	/afs/cs/misc/rayshade/all_mach/omega/doc/Examples - Rayshade
	example images.

oak.oakland.edu [141.210.10.117] :  pub/msdos/graphics/frain182.zip and
	frasr182.zip - Fractint fractal generator executable and source.
	Lots of other DOS software,
	e.g. pub/msdos/graphics/pbmpl19d.zip is PBMplus for DOS.

seq1.loc.gov [140.147.3.12] : /pub/vatican.exhibit - Library of Congress'
	*HUGE* scanned images from Vatican Library's Renaissance Culture
	Exhibit which was done from January 8, 1993 through April 30, 1993.
	K.D. Ellis <[email-masked]>

sun.irus.rri.uwo.ca [129.100.7.136]: - MacCubeView
	(3D image display program for the Macintosh - displays 8-bit MRI
	images)
	Daniel W. Rickey <[email-masked]>

monte.svec.uh.edu [129.7.2.23] : /pub/bit - *BIT*

ftp.cs.rose-hulman.edu [137.112.40.250] : pub/CS_dept/NeXtrad.tar.Z - *NeXTrad*

image.vanderbilt.edu [129.59.100.16] : /pub/morph.tar.Z - *Morphology*
	Richard Alan Peters II <[email-masked]>

willis.cis.uab.edu [138.26.64.2] : pub/sloan/ContoursRelease.tar.Z -
	*A package for making surfaces from slices by Ken Sloan*
	Reference: ACM Transactions on Graphics, July 1992.
	Kenneth Sloan <[email-masked]>

merlin.etsu.edu [192.43.199.20]: - VistaPro version of many USGS DEM files
	Brian Wright <[email-masked]>

laser.elmer.alaska.edu [137.229.17.151] and
charon.elmer.alaska.edu [137.229.17.254]: pub/DLG_CLG - Software for
	construction and playback of DLG grey scale animations.
	DLG files are available between 5:00pm and 7:00am Alaska Standard
	Time (one hour later than Pacific standard time) at laser.

ftp.hyperion.com [192.65.216.1] : Home of the SciFi TV series Babulon 5.
	Contains many JPEG and GIF images, plus other stuff about the
	series.

ftp.netcom.com [192.100.81.1] :
	/pub/natpix - some demos and freebies for Mac/SGI.
	/pub/cfogg/mpeg2 - MPEG2 encoders, source, and sample video sequences.

ftp.nosc.mil [128.49.16.7] : /pub/grid.{ps,TeX,asc} - a short survey of methods
	to interpolate and contour bivariate data.

tomahawk.welch.jhu.edu [128.220.59.75] : /pub/LW - the official
	Lightwave 3D mailing list FTP repository.
	Keith Christopher <[email-masked]>

+cogsci.uwo.ca [129.100.6.10] : /pub/vr - Virtual Reality stuff
+	(especially for PowerGlove)

ftp.cs.ualberta.ca [129.128.4.241] : *Minimal Reality (MR) Virtual
+	Reality toolkit*. Go to pub/graphics, get the file licence.ps
+	and return it signed to the Alberta people for getting a free
+	copy.

rtfm.mit.edu [18.181.0.24] :  /pub/usenet/news.answers - the land of FAQs.
	Graphics and pictures directories of particular interest.  (Also
	available from [email-masked] by sending a mail message
	containing: "help")

EUROPE:
-------

nic.funet.fi [128.214.6.100]:  *pub/sci/papers - *Paper bank project,
	including Pete Shirley's entire thesis (with pics)*, *Wilson's RT
	abstracts*, Wilt's OORT code, pub/misc/CIA_WorldMap - CIA world data
	bank, comp.graphics.research archive, *India*, *Phoenix true color
	bitmap editor under X/Motif* and much, much more.
	Juhana Kouhia <[email-masked]>

ftp.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de [134.106.1.9]:  /pub/pov-ray - *POV
	raytracer*, *PV3D*, Polyray, BLOB, etc.  wuarchive.wustl.edu:
	/mirrors/ftp.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de mirrors these directories of
	POV tools, etc.  Newest tools are in the /pub/pov-ray/new
	directory.  mirror at: ftp.uni-erlangen.de:
	/pub/pc/msdos/graphics/pov-ray.

nestor.epfl.ch [128.178.139.3]:  /pub/unix/radiance - Radiance.  Good for
	European sites, but doesn't carry the add-ons that are available for
	Radiance.

isy.liu.se [130.236.1.3]:  pub/sipp/sipp-3.0.tar.Z - *SIPP* scan line z-buffer
	and Phong shading renderer.  Jonas Yngvesson <[email-masked]>

irisa.fr [131.254.2.3]:  */iPSC2/VM_pRAY ray tracer*, SPD, /NFF - many non-SPD
	NFF format scenes, RayShade data files.  Didier Badouel
	<[email-masked]> [may have disappeared]

phoenix.oulu.fi [130.231.240.17]:  *FLI RayTracker animation files (PC VGA) -
	also big .FLIs (640*480)* *RayScene demos* [Americans:  check wuarchive
	first].  More animations to come.  Jari Kahkonen
	<[email-masked]>

peipa.essex.ac.uk [155.245.115.161]: the Pilot European Image Processing
	Archive; in a directory ipa, there are image synthesis packages.
	(examples: Khoros, image processing bibliographies, image
	converters, SciVi programs, etc.)
	Adrian Clarke <[email-masked]>

(was: jyu.fi) [128.214.7.5]:  /pub/graphics/ray-traces - many ray tracers,
	including VM_pRAY, DBW, DKB, MTV, QRT, RayShade, some RT News, NFF
	files.  Jari Toivanen <[email-masked]>

garbo.uwasa.fi [128.214.87.1]:  Much PC stuff, etc., /pc/source/contour.f -
	FORTRAN program to contour scattered data using linear triangle-based
	interpolation

asterix.inescn.pt [192.35.246.17]:  pub/RTrace - *RTrace* nffutils.tar.Z (NFF
	utilities for RTrace), medical data (CAT, etc.)  converters to NFF,
	Autocad to NFF Autolisp code, AUTOCAD 11 to SCN (RTrace's language)
	converter and other goodies.  Antonio Costa ([email-masked])

ftp.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de [129.69.211.2]:  AERO, a virtual mechanics
	system, ties in with POVray and MPEG.
	Hartmut Keller <[email-masked]>

(was: vega.hut.fi) [128.214.3.82]:  /graphics - RTN archive, ray tracers
	(MTV, QRT, others), NFF, some models.

teeri.oulu.fi [130.231.48.141] :  pub/msdos/programming - files on game
	development on PCs, ray tracing, 3D, and too much more.
+	/pub/msdos/programming/formats - Many graphics formats (2- and 3-D).
	Jouni Miettunen <[email-masked]>

sun4nl.nluug.nl [192.16.202.2]: /pub/graphics/raytrace - DBW.microray, MTV, etc

ftp.luth.se [130.240.18.2]:  graphics/raytracing - prt, others, ~/Doc -
	*Wilson's RT abstracts*, Vivid.  /pub/aminet - aminet site (see
	wuarchive listing).
 [ The graphics, Doc directories don't exist anymore - nfotis ]

ftp.fu-berlin.de [130.20.225.2]:  /pub/unix/graphics/rayshade4.0/inputs -
	aq.tar.Z is RayShade aquarium [Americans:  check princeton.edu first).
	Heiko Schlichting <[email-masked]>

maggia.ethz.ch [129.132.17.1]: pub/inetray - *Inetray* and Sun RPC 4.0 code
	Andreas Thurnherr <[email-masked]>

osgiliath.id.dth.dk [129.142.65.24]:  /pub/amiga/graphics/Radiance - *Amiga
	port of Radiance 2.0*.  Per Bojsen <[email-masked]>

iamsun.unibe.ch [130.92.64.10]:  Graphtal L-system interpreter (includes
	animation support, X11 and x-buffer previewer, output for Rayshade).
	Christoph Streit <[email-masked]>

ftp.uni-kl.de [131.246.9.95]: /pub/amiga/raytracing/imagine - mirror of
	the hubcap Imagine files (hubcap is no longer around).

unix.hensa.ac.uk [129.12.21.7] : misc/unix/ralcgm/ralcgm.tar.Z - CGM viewer and
	converter.
	There's an e-mail server also - mail to [email-masked]
	with the message body "send misc/unix/ralcgm/ralcgm.tar.Z"

maeglin.mt.luth.se [130.240.1.20]:  graphics/raytracing - prt, others, ~/Doc -
	*Wilson's RT abstracts*, Vivid.
	[ I cannot get a connection to this machine - nfotis ]

stesis.hq.eso.org [134.171.8.100]: on-line access to a huge astronomical
	database. (login:starcat;no passwd)
	DECnet:STESIS (It's the Space Telescope European Coordination Facility)
	Benoit Pirenne <[email-masked]>, phone +49 89 320 06 433

ftp.thp.Uni-Duisburg.DE [134.91.141.1]: pub/source/X11/Ygl-2.4.tar.{Z|gz} -
	*Ygl 2.4 (2d GL Emulation Library for X11)*
	Fred Hucht ([email-masked])

ise.fhg.de [132.230.254.6]:  pub/radiance/rshow - Radiance, *SGI interactive
	previewer for RADIANCE*.

metallica.prakinf.tu-ilmenau.de [141.24.11.247] : pub/PROJECTS/GOOD0.60 -
	*GOOD graphics OO project, including YART ray tracer*
	Ekkehard 'Ekki' Beier <[email-masked]>

ftp.mcc.ac.uk [130.88.203.12]: /pub/cgu/nurbs/nurbs.tar.Z - *Nurbs*,
	/pub/cgu/ptk - Contains a PHIGS+ toolkit.
	/pub/cgu/MSDL - *MSDL*

wowbagger.PC-Labor.Uni-Bremen.DE [134.102.228.9]: /pub/graphics/daVinci -
	daVinci (interactive  graph-visualization system) - binaries, docs,
	graph examples tools for SunOS 4.1.x/Solaris 2.x.
	Contact: [email-masked]

neptune.inf.ethz.ch [129.132.101.33]: XYZ - *XYZ GeoBench*
	Peter Schorn <[email-masked]>

ftp.univ-rennes1.fr [129.20.128.34]: /pub/Images/ASTRO/anim - Space-related
	animations in QUICKTIME (Mac), MPEG, FLI (PC), ANIM (Amiga) formats,
	plus software to display / convert these.
	Gopher access: roland.univ-rennes1.fr [129.20.128.27], in the
	directory 'Astro Gopher/anim'
	Frank ROUSSEL <[email-masked]>

ftp.inf.tu-dresden.de [141.76.1.11]: /pub/ms-dose/graphics/raytrace -
	Moray

ftp.lifl.fr [134.206.10.27] : /pub/users/graphix/lefer/SEADS - ray tracer
	using SEADS structure.
	Wilfrid Lefer <[email-masked]>

cast0.ast.cam.ac.uk [131.111.68.35]:  pub/gfl/temp.tar.gz - SunOs 4.1.3 POVRay
	executables.
	Geraint Lewis <[email-masked]>

ftp.technion.ac.il [132.68.1.10]:  /pub/supported/cs/graphics - *IRIT*.
	Gershon Elber <[email-masked]>

gauss.technion.ac.il [132.68.112.60]: *kaleida*

ftp.canon.co.uk [192.88.128.32]: /pub/renderware - *CRITERION* demos
	for MS-DOS/Windows, SUN SPARC (Solaris 1 / 2).
	Mike King <[email-masked]>

+ftp.fht-mannheim.de [141.19.1.71] : pub/linux/X11/xvirtual.tar.gz - *Xvirtual*

AUSTRALIA:
----------

uniwa.uwa.edu.au [130.95.128.1] : /pub/povray - *POVray*, plus many
	"unofficial" POV files.  Currently very active.
	POVRAY account <[email-masked]>
	[ New name: ftp.uwa.edu.au ]

gondwana.ecr.mu.oz.au [128.250.70.62]: pub - *VORT(ART) ray tracer*, *VOGLE*,
	Wilson's ray tracing abstracts, /pub/contrib/artscenes (ART scenes from
	Italy), pub/images/haines - Haines thesis images, Graphics Gems code,
	SPD, NFF & OFF databases, NFF and OFF previewers, IRIT, OORT, plus some
	8- and 24bit images and lots of other stuff.  pub/rad.tar.Z - *SGI_RAD*
	Bernie Kirby <[email-masked]>

munnari.oz.au [128.250.1.21]:  pub/graphics/vort.tar.Z - *VORT (ART) 2.1 CSG and
	algebraic surface ray tracer*, *VOGLE*, /pub - DBW, pbmplus.  /graphics
	- room.tar.Z (ART scenes from Italy).
	David Hook <[email-masked]>

plaza.aarnet.edu.au [139.130.23.2] :  mirror site of various places, including
	/graphics/graphics/mirrors/ftp.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de

marsh.cs.curtin.edu.au [134.7.1.1]: pub/graphics/bibliography/Facial_Animation,
	pub/graphics/bibliography/Morph, pub/graphics/bibliography/UI -
	stuff about Facial animation, Morphing and User Interfaces.
	pub/fascia - Fred Parke's fascia program.
	Valerie Hall <[email-masked]>

katz.anu.edu.au [150.203.7.91] :  /pub/stereograms - Single image random dot
	(SIRDS) stereogram site.
	<[email-masked]>

merry.cs.monash.edu.au [130.194.67.101]: pub/alanf/pcad - toy CAD program
	written using DEC PHIGS (version 2.1) and intended for educational
	use.
	Alan Finlay <[email-masked]>

OCEANIA - ASIA:
---------------

ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz [130.216.1.5]:  architec/Applications - *VISION-3D facet
	based modeller for Mac, can output RayShade files*.
	architec/Textures - texture library of 200+ TIFF textures.
	architec/Translators - ArchiCAD to Radiance translator.
	Many other neat things for Macs.  Mirrored at wuarchive.wustl.edu:
	/mirrors/architec.
	Paul Bourke <[email-masked]>

scslwide.sony.co.jp [133.138.199.1]:  ftp2/SGI/Facial-Animation - Steve Franks
	site for facial animation.
 	Steve Franks <[email-masked] OR [email-masked]>

nctuccca.edu.tw [192.83.166.10]: /PC/graphics/disp - *DISP* : An image and
	animation viewer for 386PCs.
	Very good archive for the Taiwanese area.

#WWW sites (rather untested)
=========

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/grad/cek/rayshade - Rayshade (pretty official)

#http://www.mit.edu:8001/activities/cgs/rayshade/guide/guide.html - Rayshade
	User's Guide
(aka
#http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena/activity/c/cgs/lib/html/rayshade/guide/guide.html)

http://www.msi.umn.edu/miscdocs/Rayshade/index.html - Rayshade

http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001/afs/cs/project/cil/ftp/html/vision.html - Rayshade

http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001/afs/cs/misc/rayshade/all_mach/omega/doc/Examples/
	rayimages.html [or rayimgtxt.html for no icons] - Rayshade "standard"
	images.
	Mark Maimone <[email-masked]>

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~mariusw/pov/utilities.html - POV utilities.

http://www.tu-graz.ac.at/CSIGGRAPHbib - Siggraph's Graphics online bibliography

http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk:/Ray.Tracing/ - Ian Grimstead's ray tracing bibliography

ftp://hobbes.lbl.gov/www/radiance/radiance.html - Radiance (U.S.A.)

http://topquark.cecer.army.mil/~roland/povray/povray.html - Radiance (Swiss)

http://acacia.ens.fr:8080/home/massimin/ray.ang.html - Sample images from
	Rayshade, POV and Inetray

http://www.dataspace.com/WWW/vlib/comp-graphics.html - Virtual Library:
	(Ray-tracing, including stereoscopic and volume rendering)

http://web.arl.mil/software/brlcad/ - BRL-CAD: (Contains several ray tracing
	papers)

ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/natpix/htmlnatpix.html - NatPix's home page

http://wavefront.wti.com - Wavefront

http://www.cs.ruu.nl/people/otfried/html/geombib.html - Computational Geometry
	bibliography.

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/fractal-faq/faq.html -
	Fractal FAQ

http://info.mcc.ac.uk/CGU/MSDL/MSDL-intro.html - Manchester Computing Centre,
	Computer Graphics Unit

+ftp://hobbes.lbl.gov/www/ - Radiance, MGF, etc. Home Page

+http://archpropplan.auckland.ac.nz/Graphics/radiance/radiance.html and
+http://archpropplan.auckland.ac.nz/People/Mat/gallery/animations.html -
+	Radiance examples, animations, etc.

=========================================================================

End of Part 1 of the Resource Listing
-- 
Nick (Nikolaos) Fotis         National Technical Univ. of Athens, Greece
HOME: 16 Esperidon St.,       InterNet : [email-masked]
      Halandri, GR - 152 32   UUCP:    pythia!theseas!nfotis
      Athens, GREECE          FAX: (+30 1) 77 84 578