Subject: (3 Oct 94) Computer Graphics Resource Listing : BIWEEKLY [part 6/6]

From: [email-masked] (Nick C. Fotis)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 17:20:59 GMT

Archive-name: graphics/resources-list/part6
Last-modified: 1994/10/03

Computer Graphics Resource Listing : BIWEEKLY POSTING [ PART 6/6 ]
==================================================================
Last Change : 3 Octomber 1994

Subject:
18. 3D graphics editors
=======================

a. Public domain, free and shareware systems
============================================

VISION-3D
---------
  Mac-based program written by Paul D. Bourke ([email-masked]).
  The program can be used to generate models directly in the RayShade
  and Radiance file formats (polygons only).
  It's shareware and listed on the FTP list.

BRL
---
  A solid modeling system for most environments -- including SGI and X11.
  It has CSG and NURBS, plus support for Non-Manifold Geometry
  [Whatever it is].

  You can get it *free* via FTP by signing and returning the relevant license,
  found on ftp.brl.mil. Uses ray-tracing for engineering analyses.

  Contact:

  Ms. Carla Moyer
  (410)-273-7794 tel.
  (410)-272-6763 FAX
  [email-masked] E-mail

  Snail mail:

  BRL-CAD Distribution
  SURVIAC Aberdeen Satellite Office 1003
  Old Philadelphia Road,
  Suite 103 Aberdeen
  MD  21001  USA

IRIT
----
  A constructive solid geometry (CSG) modeling program for PC, Amigas and X11.
  Includes freeform surface support. Free - see FTP list for where to
  find it.

SurfModel
---------
  A solid modeling program for PC written in Turbo Pascal 6.0 by
  Ken Van Camp. Available from SIMTEL, pd1:<msdos.srfmodl> directory.

NOODLES
-------
   From CMU, namely Fritz Printz and Levent Gursoz ([email-masked]).
   It's based on Non Manifold Topology.
   Ask them for more info, I don't know if they give it away.

XYZ2
----
  XYZ2 is an interactive 3-D editor/builder written by Dale P. Stocker to
  create objects for the SurfaceModel, Automove, and DKB raytracer packages.
  XYZ2 is free and can be found, for example, in SIMTEL20 as
  <MSDOS.SURFMODL>XYZ21.ZIP (DOS only??)

3DMOD
-----
  It's an MSDOS program. Check at barnacle.erc.clarkson.edu [128.153.28.12],
  /pub/msdos/graphics/3dmod.* . Undocumented file format :-(
  3DMOD is (C) 1991 by Micah Silverman, 25 Pierrepoint Ave., Postdam,
  New York 13676, tel. 315-265-7140

NORTHCAD
--------
  Shareware, <MSDOS.CAD>NCAD3D42.ZIP in SIMTEL20. Undocumented file format :-(

Vertex
------
  (Amiga)
  Shareware, send $40 US (check or money order) to:

  The Art Machine, 4189 Nickolas
  Sterling Heights, MI  48310
  USA

  In addition to the now standard file formats, including Lightwave,
  Imagine, Sculpt, Turbo Silver, GEO and Wavefront, this release offers
  3D Professional and RayShade support. (Rayshade is supported only by
  the primitive "triangle", but you can easily include this output in
  your RayShade scripts)

  The latest demo, version 1.62, is available on Fred Fish #727.

  For more information, contact the author, Alex Deburie, at:

  [email-masked], Phone: (313) 939-2513

ICoons
------
  (Amiga)
  It's a spline based object modeller ("ICoons" = Interactive 
  COONS path editor) in amiga.physik.unizh.ch (gfx/3d/ICoons1.0.lzh).
  It's free (under the GNU Licence) and requires FPU.

  The program has a look&feel which is a cross between Journeyman and
  Imagine, and it generates objects in TTDDD format.

  It is possible to load Journeyman objects into ICoons, so the program
  can be used to convert JMan objects to Imagine format.

  Author: Helge E. Rasmussen <[email-masked]>
  PHONE + 45 36 72 33 00, FAX   + 45 36 72 43 00

[ It's also on Fred Fish disk series n.775 - nfotis ]

ProtoCAD 3D
-----------
 Ver 1.1 from Trius (shareware?)

 It's at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil and oak.oakland.edu as PCAD3D.ZIP (for PCs)

 It has this menu layout:

         FILE       File handling (Load, Save, Import, Xport...)
         DRAW       Draw 2D objects (Line, Circle, Box...)
         3D         Draw 3D objects (Mesh, Sphere, Block...)
         EDIT       Editing features (Copy, Move ...)
         SURFACE    Modify objects (Revolve, Xtrude, Sweep...)
         IMAGE      Image zooming features (Update, Window, Half...)
         OPTION     Global defaults (Grid, Toggles, Axis...)
         PLOT       Print drawing/picture (Go, Image...)
         RENDER     Shade objects (Frame, Lighting, Tune...)
         LAYER      Layer options (Select active layer, set Colors...)

Sculptura
---------
  Runs under Windows 3.1, and outputs PoV files. A demo can be found
  on wuarchive.wustl.edu in mirrors/win3/demo/demo3d.zip

  Author: Michael Gibson <[email-masked]>

POVCAD
------
 There are 2 versions, one for DOS graphics and the other
 one is for Windows.  This modeler is a 3D wireframe based modeler.
 The newest version of POVCAD for Windows is 3.0a and it supports
 PoV, Polyray, RAW data and DXF in/out.  Some of the features include
	- spheres
	- cones
	- disc/washer
	- box
	- ellipsoid
	- torus
	- sweep objects
	- extruded objects
	- polygon decomposition
	- Extrude along a path  command
	- Bezier patches
	- BSpline and Catmull-Rom curve fitting
	- etc...

 POVCAD author wrote the book titled "Adventures in Raytracing" published by
 QUE.
 It covers Polyray (raytracer), 3D modeling with POVCAD and animation. Cost
 is $27.95 (US).  Includes a disk with all the software needed to create the
 scenes in the book.

 The package is available in Pi Square BBS (see the BBS section for location),
 TGA BBS, Compu$serve(GraphDev forum). Use Archie to find it in FTP sites.

 Author: Alfonso Hermida <[email-masked]>

Blob Sculptor
-------------

  Alfonso Hermida, Steve Anger and Truman Brown have developed a blob 
  modeler called "Blob Sculptor".  It handles spherical blob components at
  this point but tori, cylinders, ellipsoids and cones are on the way.
  Blob Sculptor outputs to: RAW, DXF, BLB (internal format), CTDS, POV,
  POLYRAY and RAYSHADE.

  Blob Sculptor 1.0a runs on PC with a VGA and mouse, coprocessor required.
  It's distributed as FREEWARE.  

  Where to download it:
  CompuServe , GraphDev forum
  TGA BBS (510)524-2780        California, USA
  Pi Squared BBS (301)725-9080 Maryland USA

FreeForm
--------
  (Amiga)
  FreeForm is a super-fast, real-time, 3D Bspline and NURB like curve
  surface modeler, with many features; including on-line Amigaguide help
  and the ability to open up in any Amiga screen resolution.

  Automatic Bones creation and modeling with bones.
  Rail extrusion.
  Morph extrusion.
  Morph tweening of objects, with the ability to save a tween object for use.
  Cross section skinning.
  Realtime 3D space perspective view, with point modifcation.
  and more.....

  Export your objects to:
    1.Lightwave
    2.Imagine
    3.Aladdin
    4.Caligari
    5.Real3D2

  You can FTP it from any Aminet site, like ftp.wustl.edu, directory
  pub/aminet/gfx/3d. The latest uploaded version is called FreeForm3D1.6.
  1.7 is the latest version, but 1.6 is close enough to it, to see what it
  can do.

  Author: Fori Owurowa <[email-masked]> (Please start your Subject:
  line with "Fori", in order to be able to sort it out from the rest of his
  mail)

b. Commercial systems
=====================

Alpha_1
-------
  A spline-based modeling program written in University of Utah.
  Features: splines up to trimmed NURBS; support for boolean operations;
    sweeps, bending, warping, flattening etc.; groups of objects, and
    transformations; extensible object types.
  Applications include: NC machining, Animation utilities,
    Dimensioning, FEM analysis, etc.
  Rendering subsystem, with support for animations.
  Support the following platforms: HP 300 and 800's (X11R4, HP-UX 6.5),
    SGI 4D or PI machines (X11R4 and GL, IRIX 3.3.1), Sun SparcStation
    (X11R4, SunOS 4.1.1).
 
  Licensing and distribution is handled by EGS:
    Glenn McMinn, President
    Engineering Geometry Systems
    275 East South Temple, Suite 305
    Salt Lake City, UT  84111
    (801) 575-6021
    [email-masked]

 [ Educational pricing ]
  The charge is $675 per platform.  You may run the system on as many
  different workstations of that type as you wish.  For each platform
  there is also a $250 licensing fee for Portable Standard Lisp (PSL)
  which is bundled with the system.  You need to obtain an additional
  license from the University of Utah for PSL from the following address:
    Professor Robert Kessler
    Computer Science Department
    University of Utah
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84112

  [ EGS can handle the licensing of PSL for U.S. institutions for a
    300 $USD nominal fee -- nfotis ]

VERTIGO
-------

  They have an Educational Institution Program. The package is used in
  the industrial design, architectural, scientific visualization,
  educational, broadcast, imaging and post production fields.

  They'll [quoting from a letter sent to me -- nfotis ] "donate fully
  configured Vertigo 3D Graphics Software worth over $29,000USD per
  package to qualified educational institutions for licencing on any
  number of Silicon Graphics Personal IRIS or POWER Series Workstations.
  If you use an IRIS Indigo station, we will also licence our Vertigo
  Revolution Software (worth $12,000USD).

  If you are interested in participating in this program please send a
  letter by mail or fax (604/684-2108) on your institution's letterhead
  briefly outlining your potential uses for Vertigo together with the
  following information: 1. UNIX version 2. Model and number of SGI
  systems 3. Peripheral devices 4. Third Party Software.

  Participants will be asked to contribute $750USD per institution to cover
  costs of the manual, administration, and shipping.

  We recommend that Vertigo users subscribe to our technical support
  services. For an annual fee you will receive: technical assistance
  on our support hotline, bug fixes, software upgrades and manual updates.
  For educational institution we will waive the $750 administration fee
  if support is purchased.

  The annual support fee is $2,500 plus the following cost for additional
  machines:

  Number of machines:		2-20		20+
  Additional cost per machine:	$700		$600 "

[ There's also a 5-day training program - nfotis]

Contact:
  Vertigo Technology INC
  Suite 1010
  1030 West Georgia St.
  VANCOUVER, BC
  CANADA, V6E 2Y3

  Phone: 604/684-2113
  Fax:   604/684-2108

[ Does anyone know of such offers from TDI, Alias, Softimage, Wavefront,
  etc.??? this would be a VERY interesting part!!  -- nfotis ]

PADL-2
------
[ Basically, it's a Solid Modeling Kernel in top of which you build your
  application(s)]

  Available by license from
    Cornell Programmable Automation
    Cornell University
    106 Engineering and Theory Center
    Ithaca, NY 14853

  License fees are very low for educational institutions and gov't agencies.
  Internal commercial licenses and re-dissemination licenses are available.
  For an information packet, write to the above address, or send your
  address to:   [email-masked] (Richard Marisa)

ACIS
----
  From Spatial Technology. It's a Solid Modelling kernel callable from C.
  Heard that many universities got free copies from the company.
  The person to contact regarding ACIS in academic institutions is

    Scott Owens, e-mail: [email-masked]

  And their address is:

  Spatial Technology, Inc.
  2425 55th St., Bldg. A
  Boulder, CO 80301-5704
  Phone: (303) 449-0649, Fax: (303) 449-0926

MOVIE-BYU / CQUEL.BYU
---------------------
  Basically [in my understanding], this is a FEM pre- and post-proccessor
  system. It's fairly old today, but it still serves some people in
  Mech. Eng. Depts.
  Now it's superseded from CQUEL.BYU (pronounced "sequel"). That's a
  complete modelling, animation and visualization package. Runs in the usual
  workstation environments (SUN, DEC, HP, SGI, IBM RS6000, and others)
  You can get a demo version (30-days trial period) either by sending $20
  USD in their address or a blank tape. It costs 1,500 for a full run-time
  licence.

  Contact:

  Engineering Computer Graphics Lab
  368 Clyde Building, Brigham Young Univ.
  Provo, UT 84602
  Phone: 801-378-2812
  E-mail: [email-masked]

twixt
-----
  Soon to add stuff about it... If I get a reply to my FAX

VOXBLAST
--------
From: boyd knosp <[email-masked]>
----------------
  VOXBLAST from Vaytek is available on SGI, HP, Sun, DEC and IBM RS6000
  workstations, Macintosh II workstations and PC compatibles Windows/DOS
  systems.

  VOXBLAST is not only a volume renderer, it is an analytical tool for
  exploring and interogating voxel datasets.  It has several segmentation
  tools built into it and has 3d isodensity surface extraction capability.

Contact:
  Vaytek Inc. (Fairfield, Iowa phone: 515-472-2227)

VoxelBox
--------
  A 3D Volume renderer for Windows. Features include direct
  ray-traced volume rendering, color and alpha mapping,
  gradient lighting, animation, reflections and shadows.

  Runs on a PC(386 or higher) with at least an 8 bit video card(SVGA is fine)
  under Windows 3.x. It costs $495.

  Contact:

  Jaguar Software Inc.
  573 Main St., Suite 9B
  Winchester, MA 01890
  (617) 729-3659
  [email-masked] (john w poduska)

==========================================================================

Subject:
19. GIS (Geographical Information Systems software)
===================================================
+[ From users of GIS packages ]

GRASS
-----
  (Geographic Resource Analysis Support System) of the US Army
  Construction Engineering Research Lab (CERL). It is a popular geographic and
  remote sensing image processing package. Many may think of GRASS as a
  Geographic Information System rather than an Image Processing package,
  although it is reported to have significant image processing
  capabilities.

  Feature Descriptions

  I use GRASS  because it's public domain and can be obtained through the
  internet for free.  GRASS runs in Unix and is written in C.  The source
  code can be obtained through an anonymous ftp from the Office of Grass
  Integration.  You then compile the source code for your machine, using
  scripts provided with GRASS.  I would recommend GRASS for someone who
  already has a workstation and is on a limited budget. GRASS is not very
  user-friendly, compared to Macintosh software." A first review  of
  overview documentation indicates that it looks useful and has some pixel
  resampling functions not in other packages plus good general purpose
  image enhancement routines (fft). Kelly Maurice at Vexcel Corp. in
  Boulder, CO is a primary user of GRASS .  This gentleman has used the
  GRASS software and developed multi-spectral (238 bands ??) volumetric
  rendering, full color, on Suns and Stardents. It was a really effective
  interface.  Vexcel Corp. currently has a contract to map part of Venus
  and convert the Magellan radar data into contour maps. You can call them
  at (303) 444-0094 or email care of [email-masked] 192.92.90.68

  Host Configuration Requirements

  If you are willing to run A/UX you could install GRASS   on a Macintosh
  which has significant image analysis and import capabilities for
  satellite data. GRASS  is public-domain, and can run on a high-end PC
  under UNIX. It is raster-based, has some image-processing capability,
  and can display vector data (but analysis must be done in the raster
  environment). I have used GRASS V.3 on a SUN workstation and found it
  easy to use. It is best, of course, for data that are well represented
  in raster (grid-cell) form.

  Availability

  CERL's Office of Grass Integration (OGI)  maintains an ftp server:
  moon.cecer.army.mil (129.229.20.254).

  Mail regarding this site should be addressed to
  [email-masked].

  This location will be the new "canonical" source for GRASS software, as
  well as bug fixes, contributed sources, documentation, and other files.
  This FTP server also supports dynamic compression and uncompression and
  "tar" archiving of files.  A feature attraction of the server is John
  Parks' GRASS tutorial.  Because the manual is still in beta-test stage,
  John requests that people only acquire it if they are willing to review
  it and mail him comments/corrections. The OGI is not currently
  maintaining this document, so all correspondence about it should be
  directed to [email-masked]

  Support

  Listserv mailing lists:

  [email-masked] (for GRASS users; application-level
  questions, support concerns, miscellaneous questions, etc) Send
  subscribe commands to [email-masked].

  [email-masked] (for GRASS programmers; system-level
  questions and tips, tricks, and techniques of design and implementation
  of GRASS applications) Send subscribe commands to
  [email-masked].

  Both lists are maintained by the Office of Grass Integration (subset of
  the Army Corps of Engineers Construction Engineering Research Lab in
  Champaign, IL). The OGI is providing the lists as a service to the
  community; while OGI and CERL employees will participate in the lists,
  we can make no claim as to content or veracity of messages that pass
  through the list.  If you have questions, problems, or comments, send
  E-mail to [email-masked] and a human will respond.

Microstation Imager
-------------------
  Intergraph (based in Huntsville Alabama) sells a wide range of GIS
  software/hardware. Microstation is a base  graphics package that Imager
  sits on top of. Imager is basically an  image processing package with a
  heavy GIS/remote sensing flavor.

  Feature Description

  Basic geometry manipulations: flip, mirror, rotate, generalized affine.
  Rectification: Affine, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th order models as well as a
  projective model (warp an image to a vector map or to another image).
  RGB to IHS and IHS to RGB conversion.  Principal component analysis.
  Classification: K-means and isodata.  Fourier Xforms: Forward, filtering
  and reverse.  Filters: High pass, low pass, edge enhancing, median,
  generic.  Complex Histogram/Contrast control.  Layer Controller: manages
  up to 64 images at a time -- user can extract single bands from a 3 band
  image or create color images by combining various individual bands, etc.

  The package is designed for a remote sensing application (it can handle
  VERY LARGE images) and there is all kinds of other software available
  for GIS applications.
  Host Configuration Requirements

  It runs on Intergraph Workstations (a Unix machine similar to a Sun)
  though there  were rumors (there are always rumors) that the software
  would be  ported to PC and possibly a Sun environment.

PCI
---
  A company called PCI, Inc., out of Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada, makes
  an array of software utilities for processing, manipulation, and use of
  remote sensing data in eight or ten different "industry standard"
  formats: LGSOWG, BSQ, LANDSAT, and a couple of others whose titles I
  forget.  The software is available in versions for MS-DOS, Unix
  workstations (among them HP, Sun, and IBM), and VMS, and quite possibly
  other platforms by now.  I use the VMS version.

  The "PCI software" consists of several classes/groups/packages of
  utilities, grouped by function but all operating on a common "PCI
  database" disk file.  The "Tape I/O" package is a set of utility
  programs which read from the various remote-sensing industry tape
  formats INTO, or write those formats out FROM, the "PCI database" file;
  this is the only package I use or know much about.  Other packages can
  display data from the PCI database to one or another of several
  PCI-supported third-party color displays, output numeric or bitmap
  representation of image data to an attached printer, e.g. an Epson-type
  dot-matrix graphics printer.  You might be more spe- cifically
  interested in the mathematical operations package: histo- gram and
  Fourier analysis, equalization, user-specified operations (e.g.
  "multiply channel 1 by 3, add channel 2, and store as channel 5"), and
  God only knows what all else -- there's a LOT.  I don't have and don't
  use these, so can't say much about them; you only buy the packages your
  particular application/interest calls for.

  Each utility is controlled by from one to eight "parameters," read from
  a common "parameter file" which must be (in VMS anyway) in your "default
  directory."  Some utilities will share parameters and use the same
  parameter for a different purpose, so it can get a bit confusing setting
  up a series of operations.  The standard PCI environment contains a
  scripting language very similar to IBM-PC BASIC, but which allows you to
  automate the process of setting up parameters for a common, complicated,
  lengthy or difficult series of utility executions.  (In VMS I can also
  invoke utilities independently from a DCL command procedure.)  There's
  also an optional programming library which allows you to write compiled
  language programs which can interface with (read from/write to) the PCI
  data structures (database file, parameter file).

  The PCI software is designed specifically for remote-sensing images, but
  requires such a level of operator expertise that, once you reach the
  level where you can handle r-s images, you can figure out ways to handle
  a few other things as well.  For instance, the Tape I/O package offers a
  utility for reading headerless multi-band (what Adobe PhotoShop on the
  Macintosh calls "raw") data from tape, in a number of different
  "interleave" orders. This turns out to be ideal for manipulating the
  graphic-arts industry's "CT2T" format, would probably (I haven't tried)
  handle Targa, and so on. Above all, however, you HAVE TO KNOW WHAT
  YOU'RE DOING or you can screw up to the Nth degree and have to start
  over.  It's worth noting that the PCI "database" file is designed to
  contain not only "raster" (image) data, but vectors (for overlaying map
  information entered via digitizing table), land-use, and all manner of
  other information (I observe that a remote-sensing image tape often
  contains all manner of information about the spectral bands, latitude,
  longitude, time, date, etc. of the original satellite pass; all of this
  can go into the PCI "database").

  I _believe_ that on workstations the built-in display is used.  On VAX
  systems OTHER than workstations PCI supports only a couple of specific
  third-party display systems (the name Gould/Deanza seems to come to
  mind).  One of MY personal workarounds was a display program which would
  display directly from a PCI "database" file to a Peritek VCT-Q (Q-bus
  24-bit DirectColor) display subsystem.  PCI software COULD be "overkill"
  in your case; it seems designed for the very "high end"
  applications/users, i.e. those for whom a Mac/PC largely doesn't suffice
  (although as you know the gap is getting smaller all the time).  It's
  probably no coincidence that PCI is located in Canada, a country which
  does a LOT of its land/resource management via remote sensing; I believe
  the Canadian government uses PCI software for some of its work in these
  areas.

  [ Note: another colleague found these addresses re. PCI:

	PCI Remote Sensing Corporation
	1925 N. Lynn Street, Suite 803
	Arlington, VA 22209
	tel: 703 243 3700
	fax: 703 243 3705

	or you could email the Toronto HQ
	[email-masked]	]

SPAM (Spectral Analysis Manager)
--------------------------------
  Back in 1985 JPL developed something called SPAM (Spectral Analysis
  Manager) which got a fair amount of use at the time.  That was designed
  for Airborne Imaging Spectrometer imagery (byte data, <= 256 pixels
  across by <= 512 lines by <= 256 bands); a modified version has since
  been developed for AVIRIS (Airborne VIsual and InfraRed Imaging
  Spectrometer) which uses much larger images.

  Spam does none of these things (rectification, classification, PC and
  IHS transformations, filtering, contrast enhancement, overlays).
  Actually, it does limited filtering and contrast enhancement
  (stretching).  Spam is aimed at spectral identification and clustering.

  The original Spam uses X or SunView to display.  The AVIRIS version may
  require VICAR, an executive based on TAE, and may also require a frame
  buffer.  I can refer you to people if you're interested.  PCW requires X
  for display.

MAP II
------
  Among the Mac GIS systems, MAP II is distributed by John Wiley.

CLRview
-------
  CLRview is a 3-dimensional visualization program designed to exploit
  the real-time capabilities of Silicon Graphics IRIS computers.

  This program is designed to provide a core set of tools to aid in the
  visualization of information from CAD and GIS sources.  It supports
  the integration of many common but disperate data sources such as DXF,
  TIN, DEM, Lattices, and Arc/Info Coverages among others.

  CLRview can be obtained from explorer.dgp.utoronto.ca (128.100.1.129) 
  in the directory pub/sgi/clrview.

  Contact:
  Rodney Hoinkes
  Head of Design Applications
  Centre for Landscape Research
  University of Toronto
  Tel:   (416) 978-7197
  Email: [email-masked]

ER-Mapper
---------
  ER-Mapper 4.0 is an X11-based package for the Sun.  It is designed
  to display earth resource data such as satellite and airphoto images,
  aeomagnetic or gravity surveys, seismic timeslices, etc.  Vector data
  from GIS databases is also supported.  Images from different sources
  can be "warped" to a common coordinate system and displayed together
  onto a single picture.  Algorithms for filtering and combining different
  sensor bands are easily customized, and interfaces for your own C or Fortran
  filters are built-in.  Lots of import facilities for various generations
  of Landsat, SPOT, airphoto, seismic, etc.  Display types include
  artificial sun, pixel spectrometer, pseudocolor or RGB or HLS, etc.
  You can import satellite, airborne, geophysical, seismic, and other
  types of data, and interactively integrate raster, vector, and tabular
  data.  ER Mapper imports data in over 90+ formats, and renders output to
  185+ hardcopy devices.

  The demo CD (450MB) contains 300MB of example images and algorithms for
  highlighting vegetation, cloud cover, etc from satellite imagery, mineral
  types from radiometry data, and so forth.  San Diego and Australia feature
  prominently in the example images :-)

  Package is based on Open-Look toolkit, but works with
  Motif Window Manager.  Can display on multiple X displays simultaneously.
  Lots of online PostScript manuals displayed with GNU Ghostscript.
  Documentation is excellent, and includes tutorials and examples.

  Demo CD is free.  Full-use one-month evaluation license is $200, and
  you can keep the manuals.  Full floating license costs vary depending
  on tax rates, import duties, etc. (ie: read "expensive")  Educational
  license include 5 floating licenses at a 90% discount and restrictions
  on how the software may be used (Education clients must not compete for
  commercial contracts with commercial clients ; details of post-grad
  students and their projects, etc.)

  Addresses:

  USA office:                           Australian office:

  Earth Resource Mapping                Earth Resource Mapping Pty Ltd
  Suite 900                             Level 1
  4370 La Jolla Village Road            87 Colin Street
  San Diego, CA, USA  92122             West Perth, Western Australia 6005
  Telephone:      +1 619 558-4709       Telephone:      +61 9 388 2900
  Facsimile:      +1 619 558-2657       Facsimile:      +61 9 388 2901
  email: [email-masked]     

PC MOSS
-------
From: [email-masked] (Bill Thoen)

  I have recently posted the source code to PC MOSS at csn.org.  To get it, 
  ftp to csn.org and look in the COGS/MOSS directory for mosssrc.zip
  and mosssrc2.zip.  It's public domain code and written in
  FORTRAN.  MOSS is a raster-based GIS system widely used by the
  US BLM and others.  The workstation version is several revs ahead
  of the PC version, and (in case you're wondering) the PC version is 
  no longer being updated. 

  The MOSS source code (and many other GIS-oriented files not on this 
  ftp site) can also be found on GISnet BBS.  GISnet's number is 
  (303) 447-0927, (Boulder, Colorado) and you can call anytime at 1200, 
  2400, 9600 baud.  However file downloading from GISnet requires a 
  subscription ($48/yr), but you *can* download the full list of files,
  and a few other files for no charge.

  Please don't ask me questions about how to compile, link, etc. or
  anything about the algorithms involved in this code. I just put
  this out there because I think it may be of interest, but I can't
  offer tech support, because I don't know it very well myself.

Smallworld
----------
From: Neil Pawson <[email-masked]>

    The Unix based Smallworld GIS is written using the object
  orientated language Magik, which makes the system highly customizable.
  Includes integrated raster and vector data, version managed database
  (which allows the storage of multiple versions of all aspects of data,
  even raster, in a single database), a "virtual database" concept which
  allows the integration of commercial databases such as Oracle and
  Ingres), a seamless mapbase and a CASE tool to aid design and
  development of new applications.  The package is popular with utility
  companies and local governments as non-technical users find it easy to
  learn and use.

  email: [email-masked]
	[email-masked]

  Smallworld Systems
  Brunswick House
  61-69 Newmarket Road
  Cambridge, U.K.
  Phone: +44 223 460199

  Suite 2120
  6860 S. Yosemite Court
  Englewood, CO  80112
  Phone: (303) 779-6980
  Fax: (303) 796-0545

  Chicago marketing office: (312) 482-9431

==========================================================================

Subject:
20. User Interface Builders
===========================

[ This part is under construction, er editing. In the meantime, send me
  anything you have on the subject!! -- nfotis ]

I'll have *much* work to do on it --- this is an "alpha-0.3" version!!!!

[ Here are the thoughts of a netter - do you agree with these
  categorizations???? Any more suggestions??? Don't forget that I have
  *very* limited time these days :-(  ------ nfotis ]

TODO: Add an entry for SUIT (was in the first part of the Listing)

-- snip snip --

Your also missing Object Pascal and it's associated libraries.  It is with out
doubt currently the single most important tap root for the ideas that other
systems have.  It's class library can be found reimplemented in C++, Smalltalk,
et.al.

Your entry on Garnet would do well to buffer the comment about it's size with a
comment that it is very elegant and constraint based from the bottom up.

It is hard to sort out these systems.  You might decorate each entry with
a keyword list.  Here are some suggested keywords:
Language the UI designer works in.
 c++      -- requires C++
 fortran  -- requires fortran
 cltl2    -- requires common lisp 2
 custom   -- aka Hypertalk, et. al.

Platforms
 unix
 mac
 win/16
 win/32s
 win/nt
 etc.

Widgets supported
 buttons
 charts
 tables
 little-text
 hugh-text

Cost
 free
 free-but-gnu-license
 free-but-other
 no-runtime-license
 etc.

Layer in question
 rendering               -- i.e. display postscript, etc.
 little-widget-set       -- i.e. buttons, dialogs, etc.
 big-widget-set          -- I.e. tables, charts, rich text.
 authoring-environment   -- I.e. Things like hypercard.

The layer thing is important to me.  I suspect that the majority of UI
building that is taking place today, and will take place in the future
is in the context of "closed" authoring systems.  Hypercard, Excel, 
the Newton SDK, and the PC database packages are all examples of this
trend.  Much of the client server software is like this.  Most of these
have some little language embedded in them.

The bottom layer, rendering hasn't stablized yet.  Postscript sets a
very high bar and we are going to have to read it.  The new quickdraw
is but one example of this.

The little widget layer is to slim to be important, but it is easy enough
that a lot of system due just it.

The big-widget-set layer is extremely rare, and very hard.

--- snip snip ---

[ Raw material collected here and there - It needs to receive a whole day
  editing session :-( ]

Xm++
----
From: [email-masked] (Ken Wood)
---
A user interface builder that comes from the University of
Vienna.  It is a C++ based class library that really has some nice features.
It's only in beta release now (v. 0.51), but seems pretty stable.  We got
our copy from ipcl.rvs.uni-hannover.de under /ftp1/X11/contrib, and the
developers point of contact is [email-masked].

>From: X11 FAQ

DIRT
----
A new release of the DIRT interface builder by Richard Hesketh works 
with X11R5 and includes some support for the Motif widget set. From the README:

  This builder allows the interactive creation and rapid prototyping of X user
  interfaces using the X Toolkit and a number of Widget Sets.  Dirt generates
  "Wc - Widget Creation" resource files and this distribution also includes the
  Widget Creation Library (version 1.06, with the exception of the demos and
  Mri/Ari source code) with the kind permission of its author David E. Smyth.

Check dirt.README, dirt.A2.0.tar.Z, and dirt.PS.Z on export.lcs.mit.edu:contrib.

Interviews
----------
The InterViews 3.0.1 C++ toolkit contains a WYSIWIG interface builder 
called ibuild. ibuild generates code for an InterViews application complete 
with Imakefile and an X-resource file. Documentation is /pub/papers/ibuild.ps 
on interviews.stanford.edu (36.22.0.175).

ObjectViews
-----------
Quest Windows's (408-496-1900) ObjectViews C++ package includes an
interactive building tool. 

DRUID
-----
Druid (Demonstrational Rapid User Interface Development) runs on SPARC 
machines using OSF/Motif 1.0; it is intended eventually to be a full UIMS but 
apparently now has only support for creating the presentation components, for 
which it generates C/UIL code.

Info: Singh G, Kok CH, Ngan TY, "Druid: A System
for Demonstrational Rapid User Interface Development". Proc. ACM SIGGRAPH Symp 
on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST'90). ACM, NY, 1990, pp:167-177.

BYO
---
The BYO interface builder is implemented in tcl.

Commercial Products
===================
        These commercial products (unsorted) are available in 
final or prerelease form [the * following the product name indicates that the 
product is known to allow the designer to specify for each widget whether a 
particular resource is hard-coded or written to an application defaults file,
for at least one form of output]. Some are much more than user-interface tools;
some are full user interface management systems:

Product Name            Look/Feel       Code Output             Vendor  
        
HP Interface            Motif 1.1       C(Xm)                   HP/Visual Edge
 Architect/ UIMX        
OPEN LOOK Express       OPEN LOOK       C(Xol+ helper lib)      AT&T/Visual Edge
UIMX 2.0 *              Motif 1.1       C(Xm + helper code)     Visual Edge
                                                                514-332-6430
                                                                & distributors
VUIT 2.0                Motif 1.1       C/UIL[r/w]              DEC 
                                                                (1-800-DIGITAL)
X-Designer 1.1 *        Motif 1.1       C(Xm); C/UIL            Imperial 
                                                                Software
                                                                Technology, Ltd
                                                                (+44 734 587055)
                                                                [email-masked]
*******

From: John Methot <[email-masked]>

XDesigner is now at version 3.0.  It is developed by Imperial
Software Technology, Ltd. (UK), but is sold in the US by V.I. Corporation,
47 Pleasant Street, Northampton, MA 01060, (413)586-4144.  It generates
C (K&R or ANSI) or C++ that is pure Xm/Xt code, or UIL.  It also generates
resource files and callback stub files.  It requires
X11R5 and Motif 1.2.  It also has several options for code structure
(widget hierarchies can be generated into structures, classes or
subroutines) that are settable on a per-widget basis.
   It also includes a compound string editor, a color editor,
and a (color) pixmap editor, as well as a graphical layout editor for
creating form attachments interactively.  A live version of the interface
under construction is always visible (no "edit" and "test" modes).  A
five day training class is available from V.I. Corporation (I teach it).

XFaceMaker2 (XFM2) *    Motif 1.0       C;C/script (C-like procedural 
                                        language);C/UIL
                                                                NSL 
                                                        (33 1 43 36 77 50)
                                                        [email-masked]
Builder Xcessory 2.0 *  Motif 1.1       C(Xm); C/UIL[r/w]       ICS 
                                                                (617-621-0060)
                                                                [email-masked]
XBUILD 1.1 *            Motif 1.0       C(Xm); C/UIL            Nixdorf 
                                                                (617-864-0066)
                                                        [email-masked]
iXBUILD                 Motif 1.1       C(Xm); C/UIL            iXOS Software
                                                                [email-masked]
                                                                089/461005-69
TeleUSE 1.1             Motif 1.1       PCD (like UIL);C + helper lib   
                                                               089/461005-69
TeleUSE 1.1             Motif 1.1       PCD (like UIL);C + helper lib   
                                                                Telesoft
                                                                (619-457-2700)
ezX 3.2                 Motif 1.1       C(Xm +helper lib);C/UIL;Ada
                                                                Sunrise
                                                                (401-847-7868)
                                                                [email-masked]
Snapix                  Motif           C/Xm                    ADNT
                                                                +33 1 3956 5333
OpenWindows Developers  OPEN LOOK       GIL [-> C/XView]        Sun
Guide 3.0                               GIL [-> C++/XView]
                                        GIL [-> C/OLIT]
                                        GIL [-> C/PostScript for TNT]
ExoCode/SXM             Motif           C(Xm)                   Expert Object
ExoCode/Plus            OPEN LOOK       XView                   708-676-5555

TAE+                    Xw;Motif        C(Xw,Xm); C/TCL (TAE Control Language,
                                        like UIL[needs helper library]);
                                        VAX Fortran; Ada        
                                                                Nasa Goddard
                                                                (301) 286-6034
[ I have seen the docs; tends to be massive! Call COSMIC for price
	details ]

MOB, XSculptor                  Motif; OpenLook C/Xm,UIL; C/Xol         Kovi
                                                                408-982-3840
PSM                     PM, MSW 3.0,    C/UIL                   Lancorp
                        Motif 1.1.2,Mac                         Pty Ltd.
                                                                +61 3 629 4833
                                                                Fax:  629 1296
                                                                (Australia)
MOTIFATION              Motif 1.0|1.1.2 C(Xm)                   AKA EDV
                                                        +49 (0) 234/33397-0
                                                        +49 (0) 234/33397-40 fax
[ See below about Motification ]

UIB                     Open Look/Motif C++(OI)                 ParcPlace 
                                                                +1 303-678-4626
                                                                
Look for magazine reviews for more complete comparisons of meta-file formats,
documentation, real ease-of-use, etc; Unix World and Unix Review often carry
articles.

        In addition, Neuron Data (1 415 321-4488) makes Open Interface, a 
window-system-independent object toolkit which supports interfaces which are 
or resemble (supersets of) Mac, Windows, and Motif and Open Look; the package 
includes an interface builder.

GRAMMI
------
The GRAMMI builder supports the development of Ada/X 
applications using its own set of objects which are planned to have a Motif 
look.  GRAMMI is written in Ada and generates Ada specs and stub bodies. 
(1-800-GRAMMI-1).

non-WYSIWYG
===========
        These non-WYSIWYG but related products may help for goals 
of rapid prototyping of the application interface:

WCL
---
the Widget Creation Library. Basically describes the widget
hierarchy and actions in a resources file; available from fine archive servers
everywhere, including devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (128.149.1.143) in pub/. Wcl provides
a very thin layer over Xt without any internal tweaking.

WINTERP
-------
An Xlisp-based Motif toolkit allows for interpretive 
programming. The copy on the R4 tape is outdated; get a copy off export or 
email to [email-masked]. 

From: "Niels P. Mayer" <[email-masked]>
---------------------

  WINTERP 2.0 is now available via anonymous ftp and on the X Consortium's
  X11r6 "contrib" distribution.

  WINTERP home page for WWW/Mosaic:
        http://www.eit.com/software/winterp/winterp.html
  The latest version is now available via anonymous ftp from ftp.x.org
  directory contrib/devel_tools, file
  winterp-2.XX.README, winterp-2.02.tar.Z winterp-2.02.tar.gz.

  WINTERP -- the OSF/Motif Widget INTERPreter -- is a rapid prototyping,
  development and delivery environment for GUI-based applications on Unix
  platforms. WINTERP fills the same needs as TCL/TK or Python (or the
  windowing korn shell) but:
  (0) Provides a complete, object-oriented user-interface toolkit based on
      the standard OSF/Motif widget set and the X toolkit.
  (1) Uses a small, portable object-oriented Lisp interpreter
      (an event-driven version of Betz/Almy/Tierney-et-al's XLISP-PLUS).
  (2) Other applications may send programmatic commands to WINTERP's
      interpreter via unix domain or internet domain sockets.
  (3) High-level object-oriented 2.5D graphics and animation based on
      Stasko and Hayes Xtango path transition animation paradigm.
  (4) nonblocking GUI interfaces to multiple asynchronous interactive Unix
      subprocess (based on Don Libes' expect library with WINTERP extensions).

  Best of all, WINTERP 2.0 is a "one stop shopping" free application
  environment -- the full system (C-source, documentation, example programs)
  is available in one tar file -- you don't have to run around the net
  integrating interpreter, interface and "accessory" packages. Just add Motif
  1.2, Unix, a C compiler, berkeley networking facilities (unix domain
  sockets), and X11r5 or X11r6...  compile, and you're good to go. The system
  is quite portable -- so far, I know that WINTERP 2.0 works on Irix, Ultrix,
  OSF1, SunOS, Solaris, HPUX, Linux, NeXT-Step (w/ Co-Xist Motif/X), etc.

Serpent UIMS
------------

The Serpent UIMS permits the building of user-interfaces without 
specific knowledge of coding but with an understanding of attributes being set
on a particular [Motif] widget.  Beta Release 1.2 is available from 
ftp.sei.cmu.edu (128.237.1.13) and can be found in /pub/serpent.  Serpent is 
also available on export.lcs.mit.edu (18.24.0.11) in /contrib/serpent. Email
questions can go to [email-masked]. A commercial version of Serpent is
available as "Agora" from ASET, 221 Woodhaven Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15228.
questions can go to [email-masked]. A commercial version of Serpent is
available as "Agora" from ASET, 221 Woodhaven Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15228.

Garnet
------
        Garnet is a Common Lisp-based GUI toolkit. Information is available 
from [email-masked].

=================

Metacard
--------
MetaCard is a hypertext/Rapid Application Development environment
similar to Apple/Claris Corporation's HyperCard. It's built on a
custom C++ toolkit that works like Motif, but takes a fraction of the
memory.  You get the whole development environment including the interface
builder and an unlimited distribution license for $495 (50% off for
educational users).

You can anonymously FTP a save-disabled distribution from
ftp.metacard.com (directory MetaCard) or ftp.uu.net (directory
vendor/MetaCard).  We can also email it to you or send it out on a
3.5" floppy disk free of charge.  Email to [email-masked] for more
information.

KHOROS
------

Animate - Interactive Image Sequence Display Tool
Cantata - Extensible Visual Programming Language
Concert - A system for distributed X user interfaces (groupware)
Editimage - Interactive Image Display & Manipulation Program
Xprism2 and Xprism3 - Comprehensive 2D and 3D Plotting Packages
Viewimage - A basic interactive program for surface rendering
Warpimage - An interactive program for registering and warping images

etc.etc.

     a.   Use ftp to connect to pprg.eece.unm.edu.
          % ftp pprg.eece.unm.edu
               -or-
          % ftp 129.24.24.10

============

>From: [email-masked] (Keith D Rule)
Newsgroups: comp.graphics
Subject: Portable GUIs
Date: 23 Jun 92 19:49:26 GMT

I am interested in finding a portable GUI for a project I'm 
working on. My current requirements are that the GUI work 
with MS-Windows 3.1, and X/Motif or X/Openlook on a Sparc. 
I have found references to four different portable GUIs that 
initially seem like they may meet my requirements. They are:

        -  XVT Software
           They are shipping a common GUI library and resource
           editor for MS-Windows, Macintosh, OS/2, 
           X/Motif on Sparc, and will ship X/OpenLook
           on Sparc in a couple of months.
           The library is written in C and has a C++ wrapper
           available for it. They have training classes, and
           claim to have several commercial products based on 
           it include Grammatik 5.0 (which is, in my opinion, 
           a good program with an awful looking ui)

           They have the slickest brochure, and the steepest
           price. Their solution for 1 PC and 1 Sparc development
           system is slightly more than $10000. No royalties.

        -  LIANT C++/Views
           They are currently shipping a MS-Windows version,
           and plan to ship a X/Motif version in Aug 92.
           The support includes a C++ library, a C++ browser, 
           and a dialog generator (resource editor?). They claim
           they will port to other systems including the Apple
           Macintosh.

           Price $495 including source for the MS-Windows version,
           no royalties. Motif is not yet available.

        -  Wndx
           They are shipping a common GUI and resource editor
           for MS-Window, OSF/Motif, the Mac, and DOS.
           Price $495 per platform, no royalties.

        -  ZApp
           Currently support MS-Windows, will release OSF/Motif
           versions later this year.

           Price $195 include source for MS-Windows. No royalties.
           Motif not yet available.

==========

>From: [email-masked] (Robert Inder)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Subject: Interface Toolkit Survey Summary (300 lines)
Date: 31 Jul 92 15:02:00 GMT

Earlier this month, I asked people for pointers to information on interface
tools or toolkits that I could use for building "evaluation" interfaces for
yet-to-be-decided software.  Here is the promised summary of the results.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I posted the question, I said I thought it was the sort of thing that
should be a FAQ, and it is: there is relevant information in the FAQ lists
of comp.windows.x and comp.lang.lisp.  

The Lisp FAQ has one-paragraph descriptions of the following systems: CLX,
CLIM (Common Lisp Interface Manager), CLUE (Common Lisp User-interface
Environment), CLIO (Common Lisp Interactive Objects), Lispworks Toolkit,
CLM (Common Lisp Motif), GINA (Generic Interactive Application), IB
(Interface Builder), EW (Express Windows), LispView, Garnet, Winterp,
YYonX and Picasso.

I have not included any information about systems that were mentioned only
in the FAQ answers, although I have extracted the contact addresses
or ftp locations.

Although comp.lang.prolog does not have interface packages in its FAQ (not
least because I don't think it has an established FAQ...)  people told me
of a number of prolog systems which do have interface packages associated
with them.  [email-masked] tells me that Sepia Prolog and Sicstus both
have user interface tools which operate as a separate process,
communicating with Prolog over a pipe.  [email-masked] tells me that
Quintus also offer ProWindows, an addon interface which is "a much improved
version of the PCR interface offered by several other vendors".  Finally,
[email-masked] tells me that BIM Prolog comes with "Carmen", an interactive
interface builder which can produce interfaces for both X and Sunview from
a single design.

Of the Lisp systems, CLX is said to be the "de facto" standard for
obtaining X functionality in Common Lisp, coming free with the distribution
of X and providing the functionality of Xlib within Lisp.  TI have extended
CLX to produce CLUE (Common Lisp User-interface Environment and CLIO
(Common Lisp Interactive Objects), both of which are freely available.
Clue is a toolkit that provides a range of standard components in an
object-oriented way, based on CLOS.  CLIO comes with CLUE, and provides
definitions for the components that will typically be used in
object-oriented interfaces.

CLX and CLUE in turn have formed the basis of a spot of development work at
University of Stuttgart, resulting in XIT (X User Interface Toolkit), which
is described as a "framework for Common Lisp/CLOS applications".  They are
also used by the LispWorks Toolkit, which is used to build the
sophisticated interface to Harlequin's "LispWorks", providing support for
Motif, OpenLook and CLIM user interface standards.  It includes both
libraries and an application interface builder, and there is a version (PC
Lispworks) which runs on PCs under Windows.

WINTERP (Widget INTERPreter), which also comes free with the X
distribution, was mentioned a number of times.  Although it is lisp-based,
it can be used as a free-standing tool for setting up applications using
the Motif widget set.

Garnet, from CMU, is a large, resource-hungry package for building
interactive interfaces for Common Lisp systems that was mentioned a number
of times.  It offers a number of highly configurable high-level interface
components and interaction drivers, including some support for gesture
recognition.  It uses its own object system, and includes interface
building tools.

GMD, the German National Research Center for Computer Science, produce a
suite of software.  CLM (Common Lisp Motif) is a gateway between Common
Lisp and X, used by means of a collection of Lisp functions which
communicate with a (possibly remote) CLM process, which in turn
communicates with the X server.  The CLM process is implemented in C, and
is claimed to give good performance.  GINA (Generic INteractive
Application) embodies the "skeleton" of a CLOS application in CLM, together
with a number of demonstration systems.  An actual application can be built
by adding to the skeleton provided in Gina.  Finally, IB (Interface
Builder) can be used to build windows for use within the GINA framework.
It provides facilities for interactively arranging widgets, and generates
code for use within GINA.

A number of people mentioned "hypertext-ish" tools, with MetaCard and
HyperLook being mentioned more than once.  MetaCard is a product of
"MetaCard Corporation", and a "save-disabled" version is available
by ftp.  It offers an interactive interface building environment,
supporting a wide range of features, including multiple type faces and
sizes, colour images and  "visual effects".  Event handlers are written
MetaCard's scripting language, rather than as calbacks to some other
laguage.  HyperLook, from the Turing Institute, runs on OpenWindows.  It
too has an interactive interface builder (including facilities for editing
postscript figures), and features the ability to change the interface while
the application is running.  Callbacks are written in C or other languages.
HyperNews---the "pre-productised" version of HyperLook, was also mentioned,
and comes with "bindings" (que?) for C, Lisp and Prolog.

The Andrew Toolkit (ATK), a substantial X-based package package from CMU,
was also mentioned.  The fact that the official descriptions emphasise its
use for "communication of information" and its suitability for creating
"rich, expressive multi-media documents" initially led me to overlook the
fact that it is also claimed to be suitable for building graphical
interfaces, and indeed includes an Application Development Workbench.
CMU have mounted demonstrations of Andrew which can be run over the
network, thus allowing anyone interested (and suitably equipped) to try the
system very quickly: try "finger [email-masked]" for more information.

Another system that seems to be other than an interface package is
Rendezvous, a package from Bell Communications Research that has been
designed with a focus on sharing information between a number of users, but
which also includes graphics tools and constraint maintenance and process
handling mechanisms.

A number of people mentioned Neuron Data's "Open Interface" system, which
includes an interface building tool, although I was warned that it was
"very expensive".  From a single interface specification, which can be
build interactively, it is able to produce code with Motif, Open Look,
Macintosh or Windows look and feel.  "WNDX", from WNDX Inc. in Canada, is
apparently capable of similar feats.  So too is UCS (Universal Component
System), which includes, or will include, libraries and an interface
builder for Mac, X and Windows.  Software Transformation emphasise the
ability of the system to use the native widgets on each platform, which
means that the system will automatically adjust to changes in the native
look-and-feel.

MASAI and AIDA, from ILOG, also received enthusiastic mentions: AIDA is a
Graphic widget library and language that allows "high level" widgets to be
constructed, and allows them to be presented on X, Windows and OS/2 (The
only mention---whatever happened to IBM, anyway:-).  Call backes can be in
Fortran, C, C++ or Le-Lisp.  Masai is an
interactive interface builder/animator which can use either pure Motif
widgets, or widgets build in AIDA.
ICS also provide a widget library/interface builder pair, in the form of
Builder XCessory and ICS Widget Databook, and limited numbers of copies are
available free to academics.

[ Addresses for ILOG:  
	USA :		[email-masked]
	FRANCE :	[email-masked]	]

Sun's "Developers Guide" (DevGuide) was mentioned by two or three satisfied
users as a simple-to-use and reliable interactive interface builder for
building C/C++  systems, although I believe that it can also generate
interfaces for Common Lisp via the LispView system.  It was criticised 
on the grounds that it "could have been more clever" about letting users
make changes once they had started to flesh out the callback stubs,
although it is not clear how DevGuide differs from any of the other
interface builders in this respect.  X-Designer, another interactive
interface builder producing C, was also mentioned, but criticised for
having an interface that was hard to get to grips with.

Motifation is another interactive interface building tool that supports the
Motif Widget Set, producing C code, and claiming in particular to support
producing programmer-oriented documentation of the interface, and a make
file.  

****
As a result of your design, you get the complete C-source-code including
a Makefile and an Imakefile. If Motifation can't find Callback-functions
in the specified file it generates dummy functions (containing a simple printf).

Motifation supports the full OSF/Motif Widgets Set.

Motifation has several additional features:

        o       integrated hypertext help system (XpgHelp)
                also available as a separate program
        o       dialog overview (not only 3 generations, but all
                in one window)
        o       automatically documentation of the interface
                e.g.: all callbacks are generated to an ascii-file, etc
        o       resolution independance - support (100TH_FONT_UNIT_TYPE,
                or PIXELS)
        o       optimization to gadgets
        o       shared-dialogbox
        o       links and softlinks
        o       a find-tool
        o       regular expressions for Text-Widgets
        o       a Ressource Selector (Which ressources should go
                to then AppDefaults-file?)
Distributor:
        Motifation GbR
        Geroldstrasse 38
        4790 Paderborn
        Tel: +49-5251-602076

Finally, the following were also mentioned or commended:-

   CLIM (Common Lisp Interface Manager), which is being developed by
        several Lisp vendors, including Symbolics, Franz, Harlequin and Lucid

   UIM/X, which is also marketed by IBM as AIXwindows Interface Composer.

   TCL and the TK toolkit were both mentioned a number of times, with
        the recommendation to read comp.lang.tcl.  

Finally finally, people suggested that Unix World, Unix Review and The X
Journal would all be good places to look for announcements and reviews of
the sorts of tools that I was interested in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of this message is a list of the systems I have unearthed for
which I have either an email address or a ftp site.  An email address in
brackets indicates that I believe that the individual is associated with
the tool, or the company producing it, but may not be the right person to
handle queries.  Please bear this in mind if you contact these people!

For one or two systems, only the documentation is ftp-able: these are
marked "-".  For some commercial systems, "non-saving" or otherwise
"damaged" versions are available free of charge.  These are marked "!"

  AIDA/MASAI       ILOG: no email or ftp found

  Allegro Common Windows    [email-masked]

  Andrew             emsworth.andrew.cmu.edu
               [email-masked]

  Builder Xcessory    [email-masked]

  Carmen          [email-masked]

  Dev Guide        Sun: no email or ftp found

- DIRT       export.lcs.mit.edu:contrib       in dirt.README and others

  ezd              gatekeeper.dec.com          in pub/DEC/ezd
        (Non-DEC kit also needs Scheme->C,     in pub/DEC/Scheme-to-C)

  ezX                 [email-masked]

  Garnet: [email-masked]

  Gina:      ftp.gmd.de (129.26.8.90)         in /gmd/gina
             export.lcs.mit.edu               in /contrib
         ([email-masked])

- CLIM                ftp.uu.net               in /vendor/franz/clim/clim.ps.Z
         [email-masked]

  CLUE (and CLIO)     csc.ti.com               in pub/clue.tar.Z

  CLX                 export.lcs.mit.edu:/contrib in CLX....

! HyperLook [email-masked]              in pub/HyperLook-runtime.tar.Z

  HyperNews  ftp.umiacs.umd.edu               in /pub/NeWS/HyperNeWS1.4.tar.Z

- InterViews interviews.stanford.edu          in /pub/papers/ibuild.ps

  iXBUILD             [email-masked]

  LispView           export.lcs.mit.edu        in contrib/lispview1.1
                     xview.ucdavis.edu         in pub/XView/LispView1.1
          [email-masked]

  LispWorks          [email-masked]

! MetaCard            ftp.metacard.com         in MetaCard
         [email-masked]

  Motifation       ([email-masked])

  Open Interface   Neuron Data: no email or ftp found.

  Picasso            postgres.berkeley.edu     in /pub/Picasso-2.0

  ProXT, ProXL, ProWIndows 
             [email-masked]   (for UK)
             [email-masked]  (from memory: else post to comp.lang.prolog!)

  Rendezvous      [email-masked]

  Serpent             ftp.sei.cmu.edu          in /pub/serpent
                      export.lcs.mit.edu       in /contrib/serpent

  TK         barkeley.berkeley.edu            in /tcl
The official Tcl/Tk source site is ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:ucb/tcl
The contributed archive is harbor.ecn.purdue.edu.

  UCS              [email-masked]

  UIM/X           ???
               
  WCL                 devvax.jpl.nasa.gov      in pub/

  Winterp             export.lcs.mit.edu       in contrib/winterp-???.tar.Z
                                           where ??? is the version number
         [email-masked].

  WNDX             WNDX, Inc: no email or ftp found.

  XBUILD              [email-masked]

  X-Designer       [email-masked]

  XFaceMaker2      [email-masked]

  XIT             ifi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de in /pub/xit

  YYonX              ftp.csrl.aoyama.ac.jp     in YY/

===========================================================================

END of the Resource Listing
-- 
Nick (Nikolaos) Fotis         National Technical Univ. of Athens, Greece
HOME: 16 Esperidon St.,       InterNet : [email-masked]
      Halandri, GR - 152 32   UUCP:    pythia!theseas!nfotis
      Athens, GREECE          FAX: (+30 1) 77 84 578